Recent NC500 Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent NC500 Road Trip

Last week I went on a road trip up to Bonny Scotland my inspiration came from watching a recent episode of the Grand Tour so Me and my wife Caroline went on a roadtrip and to be honest its 13 years since I last did it and I have forgotten just how beautiful that route is and especially the roads. We took the S2 obviously and we did around 1300 miles in 5 days leaving from home near Newcastle and heading up to the Onich hotel just a little south of Fort William a great drive through Glencoe I will try and give a brief day by day look at the route and with some photos...…...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Day 2 we went and had a brief look around Fort William and then headed up to Kyle of Lochalsh and we stayed at a nice hotel called the Balmacara Hotel just 3 miles outside of town centre a few photos from that day.....
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Day 3 from Kyle of Lochalsh we headed north and went up the infamous Applecross where it didn't disappoint and was cloudy and tricky at the top!!! Had a nice lunch at the Inn at the bottom and when we came back to our car there was a nice S3 parked next to us it was nice to see a bit of old school parked next to the new era!! From the Applecross Inn we headed up the gorgeous coastal route went inland and eventually landed at Ullapool where we stayed at The Caledonian Hotel which can be described as ok! Again some photos from the day...….
      This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

Day 4 we had a little look around Ullapool and then headed north up the A835 leading to the A894 then onto the A838 towards Durness and we stopped for some lunch at a little café just past Tongue which was very nice and then from there we went to John O Groats and then stopped at Dornoch for the night at The Royal Golf Hotel which was bloody magnificent and a lovely last night a few more photos.....
        This gallery has 12 photos.

Comment

Day 5 we were heading home and instead of taking the easy and obvious route back home which would have been down the A9 towards Edinburgh and then hit the A1 we went the scenic route of going via Loch Ness and Fort William and down past Loch Lomond and then M74 and then we went to Tynemouth for a Saturday night mothers day meal with family so 404 miles that day!! To summarise a great time of year to go that route very little traffic weather wasn't the best but didn't spoil it and its the 1st holiday in 5 years I have taken the S2 and all I can say is WOW what a bloody car after 19 years of ownership I still absolutely love the car drove so well and it past the 200k at the very top of Scotland. A couple of my favourite photos of the holiday
          This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Lovely little write up.
            Car and scenery look fabulous
            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Ditto! Quite stunning. Memories are made of that. Clearly one of the the highest and best uses one can put such a vehicle (and the effort required to get to this point) to. And yet the car looks like it could have been first penned yesterday.

Comment

Looks like a great trip Anthony. I never tire driving these roads. Welcome to the 200k+ club as well. Plenty life left in these old cars
                1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                  Day 4 we had a little look around Ullapool and then headed north up the A835 leading to the A894 then onto the A838 towards Durness and we stopped for some lunch at a little café just past Tongue which was very nice and then from there we went to John O Groats and then stopped at Dornoch for the night at The Royal Golf Hotel which was bloody magnificent and a lovely last night a few more photos.....
                  Great photos and great write up! 200k - awesome going! Never stayed in that particular Hotel, but I do remember Dornoch beach!

A835 north of Ullapool has to be one of the greatest roads in the UK. At least at this time of year, it sounds like you escaped being stuck behind a caravan convoy!
                  B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Thanks for the writeup and photos, takes me back to the forum epic roadtrip

Comment

Thank you Chaps most of the vehicles we came across were motorhomes which needless to say we weren't behind for long!! I just love Scotland such a gorgeous country and the further north you go the quieter it gets

Comment

Just bumping this so anyone interested in the road trip am trying to organise can see how lovely the area is

Comment

Great photos Anthony, I don't have to ask if you had a good time!!

Car looks minted in every shot !!

Comment

Lovely pics

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                              Great photos Anthony, I don't have to ask if you had a good time!!

Car looks minted in every shot !!

Cheers John yes had an amazing time I have to admit before the pics at the Skye bridge I give the S2 a cheeky wash at the garage at Kyle of Lochalsh!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X