Need Suggestions - Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions - Sealant

I am running a rubber "cobra head" tight radius 90 degree coupling into the inlet of my turbo. I have two take-off fittings in the coupling to accommodate my bypass and wastegate valves. Recently, I discovered that I have an air leak at these take-off fittings despite their self-sealing provisions. I'm wondering if someone can recommend a sealant that I can apply to the mating surfaces to address the leak. I'm afraid that tightening the fittings anymore will cause them to cut through the rubber coupling.

Cheers,
    Mike

For reference...

To check for leaks I'm just feeding compressed air (~5psi) into the intake and wetting the plumbing with soapy water. Originally I could hear the leaks, but they're no longer audible (ha!).

I removed the MAF to turbo hose tonight and tightened the fittings shown in the first picture. There's still a leak at the larger fitting, but I'm afraid to tighten it any more. The fitting is starting to cut into the rubber hose and I'm afraid it will go right through. I suspect the issue stems from where I located the fitting on the hose. The hose is curved and the fitting is not making consistent contact all the way around. Tomorrow I will probably just "epoxy weld" everything once and for all. This is what I used to bond the cobra head, accordion elbow and aluminum pipe pictured and the assembly is air tight (aside from the nipple of course). The end product won't be reverse-able but it should do the trick.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Could you use PTFE tape if its leaking through the threads and the seals on that fitting?
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Just an idea but; how about vulcanising solution appearing in your final solution? Otherwise known as rubber solution in bike puncture repair kits. It softens the surface slighlty to accept and bond to the puncture patch. I'm not saying stick a patch on it, more whether being softened a bit might help seal against the edges of your fittings?

Whatever you end up doing, it goes without saying cleanliness is super important for anything to stick. Clean with degreaser/solvent or whatever to get all traces of oil off.

Comment

Find some epoxy adhesive called RT125 made by Resintech. I use it for bonding & sealing Raychem shrink boots on to DR-25 sleeving and plastic / metal connector back-shells. It’s a semi-flexible adhesive which wets out and flows a little with gentle heat - excellent flexible bonding and developed for high temperature use. It’s not cheap, around £40 for a 50ml duo cartridge. You will get it from Waytek Wire or Racespec Online in the states. You need to key the rubber bonding area nicely with 80grit and clean with acetone or alcohol. This should sort you out
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
            Could you use PTFE tape if its leaking through the threads and the seals on that fitting?
            I've got some pipe dope on the threads, but it's not really the threads that are leaking per se. That is there is a leak between the thread and the hose, but not the thread and the nut if that makes any sense.

Originally posted by [B
            steve briance[/B]]Just an idea but; how about vulcanising solution appearing in your final solution? Otherwise known as rubber solution in bike puncture repair kits. It softens the surface slighlty to accept and bond to the puncture patch. I'm not saying stick a patch on it, more whether being softened a bit might help seal against the edges of your fittings?

Whatever you end up doing, it goes without saying cleanliness is super important for anything to stick. Clean with degreaser/solvent or whatever to get all traces of oil off.
            This is what I originally thought of doing using the same sealer typically used to repair tire punctures. But, I don't know how well it will adhere to the metal fittings where there is a gap. Definitely going to put some scratches in the rubber and clean off any oil and grease though. Cheers.

Originally posted by [B
            Error404][/B]Find some epoxy adhesive called RT125 made by Resintech. I use it for bonding & sealing Raychem shrink boots on to DR-25 sleeving and plastic / metal connector back-shells. It’s a semi-flexible adhesive which wets out and flows a little with gentle heat - excellent flexible bonding and developed for high temperature use. It’s not cheap, around £40 for a 50ml duo cartridge. You will get it from Waytek Wire or Racespec Online in the states. You need to key the rubber bonding area nicely with 80grit and clean with acetone or alcohol. This should sort you out
            This sounds like what I need. I'm going to look it up and see if I can find something comparable here. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

I should have waited, but instead I used some gorilla goo epoxy last night. Leaks still. Fuhhn.

Comment

Working...
              X