What's it worth - '91 CQ 20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth - '91 CQ 20V

I'd welcome your views on what you think my CQ20v is worth.
    Some basic details of her:
    145k miles on clock, but known to have had a clock replacement, so she's done just over 200k miles.
    Had a full top end rebuild 10years ago. Bore ovality was at about 50% of the spec limit at that point in time. I reckon there's a good 50k miles left in the block. Compression is good on all cylinders.
    Panthero black - paint's not perfect, some lacquer pitting on the bonnet and roof, but no lacquer peel. Looks fine from 2 foot away and shines well.
    On original Speedline 15" alloys (refurbed once >10yrs ago, so a bit tatty but presentable.
    LPG converted, 80l tank in the boot. Lambda controlled with single point mixer of the T/B. Runs fine on jungle juice too - it's just not as cheap!
    Beige cloth seats in pretty good condition - usual wear on drivers bolster. Wood dash and door trims.
    Just renewed the MoT. No advisories.
    No fluid leaks.
    All electrics work. Has FF T&S sunroof.
    S/S exhaust from just in front of cat - de-cat'ed
    Strut savers fitted front and back (lago_blue type) - and arm stops too (wishbone bush mod).
    Headlining sags a little bit, but not badly due to sunroof, so area is smaller than without it, so less sag.
    Has headlight washers on the bumper but no wipers.
    Original tailgate with quattro marked heater lines.
    Recent main rad (genuine Behr) - secondary rad is starting to perish but plenty of life left in it.
    Has factory a/c but the condenser had a leak so that's been removed. All other a/c bits are still on it so could be easily recommissioned if with a condenser repair or replacement.
    Overall, a solid car that could be used as a daily driver, or as a weekend toy (my current M.O.)
    Far too good to break it at this point.

I was thinking of asking for c.£3k. Am I dreaming? I know the red one on Ebay that had a £3.5k asking price sat on ebay for months! And I'd be the first to admit that was tidier than mine.

Where do you see the value of these going over the next few years? Do you think prices have topped out and will stagnate?
    Obviously they're getting rather rare now but I'm not sure if that matters.
    I choose a CQ20v over the S2 as she was much cheaper and more reliable as a daily driver. That logic seems to be as true now as it was 10 years ago when I married her!

I'm having constant debates with myself whether I should keep her or let someone else get some use out of her whilst practical classics are still a viable proposition!

All views welcome
    Last edited by jp_paul; 24 October 2019, 19:28.

There is a Grey one on ebay with 167k miles. No bids so far with £2.5K starting price. Condition looks very good and its near me but I must not!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Coup...53.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 24 October 2019, 20:00.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
      I choose a CQ20v over the S2 as she was much cheaper and more reliable as a daily driver. That logic seems to be as true now as it was 10 years ago when I married her!
      Keep it ! Regards value, not sure about £3k at this point in this uncertain time! They're great cars as I'm sure you know, if it's not eating a piece and you have the space to keep it, why not stick with it ?

Comment

Yup, that grey one sure is tidy. I'll watch it to see what she fetches...

John, keeping it is my default position. Got space in the garage so like you say, why not stick with her. It'd be a bit like selling one of the kids: great idea at the time, but I'd soon regret it! My wife says I'm just being sentimental - but they really are great cars. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Comment

Great cars but I think if someone's going to commit to a 28 yr old Audi ,in our present (lack of)parts situation and the ever increasing ramp up by media, against petrol&diesel vehicles... then they'll probably risk the whole hog and get an S2. So £ 3 grand for a 7a CQ is a lot to hope for I'm afraid.

Comment

That's sadly the inevitable end to our enthusiasm for these cars - petrol / taxation / parts / environment But, surely for someone who is of a mindset to think that far into the future, wouldn't they rather NOT go the whole hog and get an s2 if they were worried about spending £3k on a car that will soon be un-usable?

For me I doubt I will ever sell my cq20v. Had it nearly 18 years now and have invested money in all the right places to keep it going and keep me happy. When the time comes that it is no longer possible to drive, I will buy whatever the cheap disposable car of the day is.

I say no longer 'possible' as opposed to 'viable' as we all know we don't observe common financial sense running these old cars. How is it sensible to spend £3000 on a respray for a car worth £3000? we do it because we enjoy it!

Keep it and motor on I say

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              There is a Grey one on ebay with 167k miles. No bids so far with £2.5K starting price. Condition looks very good and its near me but I must not!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Coup...53.m1438.l2649
              He's had a starting bid.
              C'mon, handsup whoever's in a lot of trouble with the missus!

Having said that, i have got a double garage

Comment

I use to have a 2.3 20v quattro before my S2 and biggest regret selling as it was a fantastic car so much character and totally different to the S2. Keep it yes they don’t have S2 values but if you do get 3k what on earth will you get for same money that could put the same smile on your face??

Comment

Modern cars may be available for £3k and require less maintainance but don't have anywhere near the character.

Whenever my cq20v has been giving me a hard time resisting repair, it is forgotten on a blast down the road at glorious sounding high revs.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post

Modern cars may be available for £3k and require less maintainance but don't have anywhere near the character.

Whenever my cq20v has been giving me a hard time resisting repair, it is forgotten on a blast down the road at glorious sounding high revs.
                    I think that's just everytime I drive mine, I doubt there is a ever a drive I don't hit 7k at least once.

Second gear particularly is far too tempting!
                    Last edited by Bowie69; 27 October 2019, 00:14.

Comment

Well, given that grey one fetched £2,700, listening to the [not at all biased ] views from you guys, and taking her for one last blast down the lanes before she gets SORN'd for the winter, I've come to the sensible conclusion that I'd be to let her go.

Better start making a list of jobs to get done before she's taxed again next year... Let the part hunting ball-aches begin!
                      Thanks guys for helping me through my dilemma

Comment

£2700 is not as much as I thought it would fetch - looked clean ​​​​​​

Glad to hear you've decided to keep yours going, the lpg conversion makes it interesting and the money saved in fuel you can put towards jobs to be done.

Now go and have a blast just to reassure yourself it's the right call!

Comment

Originally posted by mackenzie50 View Post
                          Great cars but I think if someone's going to commit to a 28 yr old Audi ,in our present (lack of)parts situation and the ever increasing ramp up by media, against petrol&diesel vehicles... then they'll probably risk the whole hog and get an S2. So £ 3 grand for a 7a CQ is a lot to hope for I'm afraid.
                          Aye. There's a big difference between continuing to own that type of car and purchasing one.

Comment

Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
                            Well, given that grey one fetched £2,700, listening to the [not at all biased ] views from you guys, and taking her for one last blast down the lanes before she gets SORN'd for the winter, I've come to the sensible conclusion that I'd be to let her go.

Better start making a list of jobs to get done before she's taxed again next year... Let the part hunting ball-aches begin!
                            Thanks guys for helping me through my dilemma
                            Well done!! You would be kicking yourself if you sold your Coupe. I don’t think I will ever sell my S2 and I regretted selling my 2.3 20v quattro

Comment

Paul

Glad to hear of your decision to renew and fully appreciate the fully deppreciated! A most satisfying and fun per dollar or kilometer car.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X