Buying my first S2 need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my first S2 need some advice

Hi Guys, Been a member on here for a short while and now looking to buy my first ever S2

Not sure what's happened as can't see the rest of my post lol

Looking to buy my first ever S2

A good friend has offered me his 91 J reg Audi S2 MTM tuned at 303bhp
    It's been stood a few years (I think 3 to 4 years) put a battery to it today and it fired up, sounded great and held revs fine.
    Needs a few bits sorting mainly Headlining and front bumper which is a little broken also the LCD screen on clusters is bled.
    What I wanted to know is if the front bumper is specific to the S2 model or can one from a lesser model fit?
    Never owned one before so will be needing some advice if we can agree on a price.

Have owned many Old school BMW M cars and some Merc and Ford Cosworths, the S2 would be nice to put on the I've owned one of them list

Comment

Rule number one - Have deep pockets
      Observation number two - If you need to replace it, its probably no longer available.

What turbo is on that 3b? it is either at the top end of the map at that power or uprated?

V6 or s2 bumper will work, or a rs2/rs2 replica bumper. The normal coupe bumpers won't fit due to the intercooler. Headliner can be got second hand but easier to retrim as it will only do it again with a second hand one. Lcd screens can be got and swapped easily.

Comment

Welcome,

I am a recent returnee after having had a good quite a few years away from the forum (still got the S2 though) so I am very rusty on the current status of spares, but I am sure an expert will be along shortly to both correct me and enlighten you.

There are not too many truly S2 specific parts but sod's law states that those that are unique usually need replacing and those that are common to all the B3/B4 cars and so are plentiful you don't need (insert banging head on wall emoji here when Greg fixes them).

The LCD screen(s) will need to be swapped out. The clock is common to all B3/B4 models but there are 2 versions. There are also 2 versions of the computer and whilst not unique to the S2 & RS2, very few of the lower specced cars had the full computer so they are not very common, thus those command a far higher price on the open market - known as eBay. There is a German eBayer that sells replacements for both the clock v1 & v2 and also for the computer v1 & v2 but both are shown in the Km version which uses L/100KM rather than MPG for fuel consumption and I have never worked out if the screen is unique to each type or a generic screen being driven by a different output, so maybe someone else knows this?.

The front bumper is unique to the S2, however the 2.8 V6 Coupe and the Cabriolet have the same shaped bumper just without the headlight washer jets, which can be sourced and fitted. The main difference between the bumpers (other than the headlight washers) is the shape of the lower section, with the S2/2.8/Cabby version being lower and having the chin scoop whereas the others just tuck under. That also means (I think) that the plastic engine undertray is shared between those cars, so if you fit a non S2/2.8/Cabby bumper. Not sure how much modding the non S2 bumper might need to clear the IC as whilst I own a 2.8 bumper as I actually want to delete the headlight washers, I have not yet tried to fit it.

Being an early S2 (3B rather than ABY) you will have the dizzy/coil setup and different sizes for certain bolts such as suspension/subframe mounts etc. so you will need help from 3B owners there.

Once that is sorted, you will want to look at brakes if not already done as stock S2 brakes were not great for 220 BHP (stock 3B) let alone 300+BHP and then you will want to look at the springs/dampers and particularly the front/rear ARBs to dial out the typical Audi understeer as once you can get the back end out, roundabouts are just a joy!!!

Good luck

Cheers n (Beers emoji here)
        Si

95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

1. Prepare to spend lots.
          2. Dont let the mrs find out how much your spending.

Comment

Morning guys,

Appreciate the serious advice, really helpful.
            I think I already know it would need some money spending on it due to the fact it's been stood for so long but the upgrades it has will save me some money in the future.
            Good to know the S2 bumper isn't s2 specific.
            I think the washer jets look cool, not sure they work still lol.

Her indoors knows when I start talking about cars she's already lost the battle

Comment

The S2 has the following upgraded parts fitted

Hybrid Turbo
              MTM tuned ECU
              RS2 intercooler
              AP racing front calipers
              KW coilovers
              Poly bushes

So some of the expensive bits taken care of already

Comment

That's 2.5-3K of parts already sorted then. Good luck with the rest of it. expect to do a cambelt service including replacement bottom pulley if it's not been done already. Check the underbody fuel lines for corrosion/leakage as they will likely require replacement at some stage. It's more than likely got a MLS head gasket already fitted, but worth a check as the original paper gasket will go at some point. Pics would be good too (Thumbs Up emoji)
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Cambelt was replaced before it was taken off road, Not so sure about the head gasket I would need to go through the service records see if that's been replaced or not.

Comment

Originally posted by s2star View Post
                    The S2 has the following upgraded parts fitted

Hybrid Turbo
                    MTM tuned ECU
                    RS2 intercooler
                    AP racing front calipers
                    KW coilovers
                    Poly bushes

So some of the expensive bits taken care of already
                    With those bits fitted, don't think about it too long, just buy it now!
                    If you change your mind later, someone here will surely snap it up from you. Sounds like a great project to take on
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

This sounds like my old car. Is it Emerald Green with cream leather? Reg was something like J232 CGJ or some variant like that.

I put those brakes on it if so and they were about £2200 and replaced the old Movit brakes that were on it. They make your eyes bleed when you stop.

I think Teg on here bought it off me and did the suspension and bushes and I am pretty confident he looked after it well for a couple of years, so it would only be the last 4yrs or so that it might not have had decent love. Never had issues with the engine, ECU or anything serious. The odd MAF connecter fault which some wiggling and electrical contact spray helped with. One boost leak which MRC sorted and a broken throttle cam which was replaced with the billet version. Hopefully my service history is still there but it had proper oil well before it was needed and was always warmed up and down with care. Inbetween it was not driven sympathetically though ha ha. It loved being caned did that car.

I never had it on a rolling road but it always felt much faster than the purported MTM blurb. It made a mockery of some very fast cars.

Certainly it was well looked after in my time and was in very good condition but it must have been 6yrs or so ago which is a long time in S2 ownership. As others have said, be prepared for big spends and difficulty in sourcing parts.

I absolutely loved this car and would love another but I just cannot be bothered with faffing around with the parts. There are not that many cars out there that provide the smile factor though. I miss that old school laggy boost.

Comment

I think it could well be as it's Emerald green with cream leather.
                        The service history is huge with lots of eye watering invoices

Comment

Originally posted by s2star View Post
                          I think it could well be as it's Emerald green with cream leather.
                          The service history is huge with lots of eye watering invoices
                          Yep, there are not many MTM tuned S2's out there with AP Race brake kits on. It wasn't just me that spent on that car. Not the guy I bought it off but the guy before him had the interior retrimmed fully. He had the car resprayed (which I imagine it could do with again as it was just starting to flake in a couple of places when I sold it) and also put some RS4 wheels on it which I am pretty sure Teg changed out for some lighter race wheels. A while before that the Hybrid turbo, IC, ECU flash etc was done and the guy also put a Turbo back Miltek exhaust on. It was close to the perfect everyday road car.

I paid £4500 for it and it was an absolute steal. The guy didn't want to sell it but his wife was giving him grief. I had to pry the keys out of his hands ha ha. It was the strangest sale ever.

I really miss that car. We had a bond (it was called Jeeves). If you do buy it, stick some pics up so I can see what he looks like now.

Comment

Found a pic

Comment

great looking car. parts are expensive and if you dig deeper you will need a lot of cash. started with perfect runing car ended up with bare shell ...

Comment

Working...
                              X