Import charges to UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import charges to UK

Beware guys, I just bought an item from here, and the import charges equated to almost 30% of the items cost.
    F%^K Brexit.

Anyone have any sollutions to this new setup? I personally feel like driving abroad and just buying items and driving back.

Was this from an eBay business or private seller in Germany or elsewhere?

Comment

Private seller here in the forum. Just making people aware, tbh I couldnt escape it. - Not enjoying it though.. I'm wondering If any deals with europe will be made.. So that people know incase they were going to spend anything. I will also talk to Audi tradition at some point also.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post
        Private seller here in the forum. Just making people aware, tbh I couldnt escape it. - Not enjoying it though.. I'm wondering If any deals with europe will be made.. So that people know incase they were going to spend anything. I will also talk to Audi tradition at some point also.
        Which country was it sent from?

Comment

The value of the item has a large bearing on any charges. If it's more than £135 from the EU, you'll get hit with big charges
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Ive had variable experiences with this.

I recently ordered a pair of brand new indicator lenses for my classic saab. They came from the netherlands to my door in 5 days and i paid no extra fees. The part cost was £120. I might have expected some costs...

Sending something second hand to sweden (admittedly not long after brexit) incurred a £17 release fee for the buyer and it took 3 weeks to get to him. Part cost £40. Go figure!?
            ​​​​​

Comment

As u understand it, the couriers handle it, and can add a handling charge to the taxes...

Comment

This is nothing new. This is how every country outside EU works with regards of import. We pay 25% tax + handeling fees on import to Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post

Which country was it sent from?
                  Norway,

Huge thx everyone for commenting. I'm wondering if there will be a better sollution in the future? or is this something we have to live with?

Comment

What we have to live with is VAT being charged on items coming into the UK for us. What we can't control but hopefully will get better is how much the shippers charge us to collect the VAT off us and their handling charge for doing it. If the seller in country hasn't removed VAT from his price then effectively you'll end up paying VAT twice which I suspect is happening a lot now and also items that might have been VAT exempt before like secondhand car parts will get caught up on the blanket paying of VAT to come into the UK or for going into the EU.

It is frustrating that Audi Tradition haven't got their act together on this yet

Comment

Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post

Norway,

Huge thx everyone for commenting. I'm wondering if there will be a better sollution in the future? or is this something we have to live with?
                      Norway isn't in the EU. I paid tax and handling fees last year when I bought stuff from Norway (Vidar).
                      I bought stuff from Germany about a month ago and had no extra charges. I think it depends how much you are spending and how good the seller is at filling in the forms.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                        What we have to live with is VAT being charged on items coming into the UK for us. What we can't control but hopefully will get better is how much the shippers charge us to collect the VAT off us and their handling charge for doing it. If the seller in country hasn't removed VAT from his price then effectively you'll end up paying VAT twice which I suspect is happening a lot now and also items that might have been VAT exempt before like secondhand car parts will get caught up on the blanket paying of VAT to come into the UK or for going into the EU.

It is frustrating that Audi Tradition haven't got their act together on this yet
                        Totally agree John. I did a fair bit of reading on the subject in preparation for a purchase and the VAT twice, once at country of origin and then UK VAT added to whole consignment cost including P&P seemed to be the issue. (Then shippers handling fees on top just added insult to injury). Educating country of origin suppliers to remove VAT seems to be a slow process but getting better.
                        85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

This just popped up on the bbc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57347874

Wonder if it’ll help S2 parts trade given the OP’s issues with parts from Norway. I suspect not, unless they’re smuggled in with several tonnes of herring.... But we can hope.
                          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                            This just popped up on the bbc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57347874

Wonder if it’ll help S2 parts trade given the OP’s issues with parts from Norway. I suspect not, unless they’re smuggled in with several tonnes of herring.... But we can hope.
                            I guess this is something yey thank you dude

Comment

Working...
                            X