Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Windshields for 1990-91 Coupe Quattro/S2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Windshields for 1990-91 Coupe Quattro/S2 ?

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, I wasn't entirely sure where to put it.

I have been searching for source for new windshields in North America for my 1990 coupe quattro that I'm building, and have had 0 luck.

As a summary:

Safelite - can't find the windshield, stated that audi no longer manufactures it.
    Viracon - Once made the windshield, but it looks like they no longer do.
    Pilkington - No longer makes automotive replacement glass

So at this point, I'm looking at going to a custom windshield company and asking them to make these windshields from scratch. The cost of a mold varies from company to company ($2500-$3000), but once the mold is made, the cost to manufacture windshields goes down quite a bit.

I wanted to gauge interest if anyone else is currently in need of a coupe quattro windshield and would be interested in sharing the cost of the mold? If there is, I want to do this the right way and get a small group together and either work with the manufacturer to get a group rate, or at least document an agreement and proceed from there.

If there is any interest feel free to message me here,

Ian

If you are in the US it's not going to be viable for us in the UK/EU due to shipping/import duties, etc. A forum member from the UK has had a few batches made previously, these had heated elements embedded too. Try contacting Terrybullwon on here as I'm sure he will advise you on any challenges/costs he had to get these made. Good luck
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Are you sure pilkington have stopped making them? I got a new screen no problems 3 years ago, yes they could have stopped since but it was not even the slightest struggle. Uk again...

Comment

I’ve just had a new screen fitted during a bare metal respray , will see if I can find any manufactures markings on it

Comment

rs2 coupe/anton on here imported loads of windscreens to america a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
            Are you sure pilkington have stopped making them? I got a new screen no problems 3 years ago, yes they could have stopped since but it was not even the slightest struggle. Uk again...
            I emailed and called them and the effectively told me that they can't help. It might be that in the UK they still do.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
              If you are in the US it's not going to be viable for us in the UK/EU due to shipping/import duties, etc. A forum member from the UK has had a few batches made previously, these had heated elements embedded too. Try contacting Terrybullwon on here as I'm sure he will advise you on any challenges/costs he had to get these made. Good luck
              totally understandable haha. That's the same reason I haven't already sourced one from the UK. I will send him a message!

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                rs2 coupe/anton on here imported loads of windscreens to america a while ago.
                I will ask right now as that would be much simpler...

Comment

Originally posted by iamcgrew View Post

I will ask right now as that would be much simpler...
                  iamcgrew, did you have any luck with finding a CQ windshield here in the US. A branch just smashed mine, so pissed. I have full glass insurance coverage on mine. I was wondering if my insurance company would be kind of obligated to fix it no mater what since they insured it. Haven't called them yet.
                  Thanks

Comment

I've been looking for a replacement as well, if was difficult before Covid but now it's next to impossible, my glass started to delaminate and then collected moisture between the layers and eventually cracked, they are at that age where more and more will fail like mine.

Comment

There’s a slim chance these guys might be able to help, based in Southern California;
                      https://kottoautoglass.com/

Comment

Anton in Washington has a pallet of windscreens on the way over. He may have cq ones.

Comment

I ran a group buy recently so I could put you in contact but the shipping and import may make it non-viable.

Let me know

Comment

U2rclassics just outside of new york city brings them in fairly regularly. He does not ship them though, you gotta go there to pick them up.
                            1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                              Anton in Washington has a pallet of windscreens on the way over. He may have cq ones.
                              Thanks bud!

I did a run on my own dime and was left holding glass at $850. Another member bought me out at cost and sold them off!

I can do another run but these guys need to organize themselves
                              Cheers mis amigos,
                              _Anton

Comment

Working...
                              X