No announcement yet.

2010 XJ - what could possibly go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 XJ - what could possibly go wrong?

My trustworthy daily driver of the past 9 years (2001 A8) has had some bad luck recently (dent in right door, dent in left door, dent in rear bumper) and the engine is not happy (cam adjuster not functioning) so I guess the car is trying to tell me it wants to retire.

So looking at sensible priced diesel powered luxury cars (rather spend my money on maintenance than on depreciation) I started to like the XJ (X351), it is rather special and not a big taxi like the germans. Have I lost my mind? Especially this example looks really great, not only because it is one of those rare cars that are not black, but also the 2-tone interior with the leather dash etc.

Any thoughts? Reliability can't be as bad as their reputation? Or is it?

Timing chain replaced...can't be a bad thing?!
    I wonder if the gearbox has had a service?
    Nice looking car.

Comment

gearbox is a ZF iirc? but I do not expect that a service has been done

Comment

They are pretty good and lovely to drive.
        If you thinking about 3.0TDV6 then in Jaguar it’s not common problem but same engine in Land Rover suffers a lot from oil starvation and instant game over scenario.
        common problem is inlet manifold cracking (£800ish per bank to replace )
        Being twin turbo I have seen lots of turbo bypass valves failing,sticking etc .that will result in limp home mode .Oil leaks from rear cam seals .Gear boxes are normally good on them .
        check boot for water ingress.Generally they are pretty good .

Comment

yes, the 3.0TDV6

Comment

IMG_20220224_172852Z_HDR.jpg
            bought it

a real joy to drive but rwd & 700Nm i'll have to get used to

Comment

nice one, fancy the v6 petrol version
              enjoy it
              ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
              THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Still enjoying the XJ a lot, it really knows how to make it feel special to drive one.

and even more amazing is the reactions from other people, almost similar to the responses I get from my S2, like almost applauding and throwing themselves on the ground in worship (slight exaggeration maybe). the reactions to the A8 didn't come close to that

Originally posted by piotr View Post
                They are pretty good and lovely to drive.
                common problem is inlet manifold cracking (£800ish per bank to replace )...
                yep, previous owner had both replaced some 3 years ago

Comment

brief update: the XJ is still fine, have it for almost a year now, did some 20k miles in it including vacation to Lapland
                  good chance that I'll be in the UK (Crewe) in June for a Jaguar gathering

Comment

Working...
                  X