Having a day taking it easy today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a day taking it easy today.

I'm supposed to be posting several small items this morning to various members... So to save me PM'ing each one of you I thought it would be easier if I just stuck a post up letting everybody know I'm having to take things a little easy today.

I went for a quite a long mountain bike ride yesterday afternoon/evening in the nice weather and did not pay attention to my hydration levels, during the ride and afterwards, I simply thought I was really tired, stupid really given how hot it was.

I slept like a log which is very odd for me and woke up at 06.00 feeling pretty awful, when I went for my morning pee it was obvious what the problem was. So I drank a couple of pints of fruit juice mixed 50/50 with water and a little salt then went back to bed for a couple of hours.

Feeling much better now but still far from right, so I'm going to take things easy today and slowly rehydrate myself as I know it's bad to just drink pints and pints of water in one go.

I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow and will feel like cycling the couple of miles to the local village with everyone's packages. I know I could get Royal Mail to collect them (their on-line service is actually really good BTW) but I actually enjoy the ride as well as the exercise.

Sorry the day's delay everyone, but I'm pretty sure no one is too desperate for the parts.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

I know quite a few of you are also mountain bike enthusiasts so here's my current wheels... Circa 1990, but you know I'm something of a retro kind of guy.

This was pretty top of the range back then, full XT group set and very light.

I've upgraded the peddles to some of Shimano's finest and put some modern high pressure puncture resistant tires on it.

Does the job for me anyway.

Last edited by K Simmonds; 13 June 2022, 10:51.

Comment

No worries bro chill out with some nice tunes ?

Comment

Kit, retro rides all round.... my MTB is ~99 Carerra Fury, still going strong, done thousands of miles on it

Comment

Gents I hate to say, I'm a die hard mountain biker, I have a retro orange prestige, but they are ***** to ride compared to modern mountain bikes.
          it's no wonder you're hurting Kit, the geometry on old bikes is truly awful..

Comment

Of course, that ain't the point though

Tracks and moors rather than mountains, and it is very comfy for me.

Have a roadie for on tarmac stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
              No worries bro chill out with some nice tunes ?
              Pretty much mate, did a bit of soldering this afternoon and managed to burn my thumb, not badly, just enough to be irritating.

I've drunk at least six or seven pints of ever so slightly salty water today and have only been to the bog twice, the last time was nearly clear... I must have been seriously dried up!

Feeling much better this evening though.

Yeah, your right Monkey todays bike are in a different league comfort wise. However that old contraption does the job for me on and off road and it's so light compared to a modern bike... Didn't cost me anything either other than the pedals (£50) and tires (£40) as a good mate gave it to me on long term lone if I fixed it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                Of course, that ain't the point though

Tracks and moors rather than mountains, and it is very comfy for me.

Have a roadie for on tarmac stuff.
                Horse for courses mate...

I actually like the lack of suspension on my old bike as it give's my arms a fair work out when going down hill off road.

Comment

Kona Fire Mountain is what i have, bought it new. Nothing too fast or steep thanks!!

Comment

Steeper the better for me, don't get me wrong, I love retro mountain bikes, but after 30 mins of riding them I realise what huge advances have been made.
                    I own a gravel bike which is great for most types of riding, and a road bike for training.
                    But most weekends are spent narrowly managing to outride my 12 year old son...

Sent from my Nokia G10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice bikes Monkey, in a years time your lad will be leaving you behind.

Anyway, I did the same bloody thing yesterday.

Cycled up to my folks first thing in the morning before it got really hot, took the five mile route, all pretty much up hill, half off road/half on road, did it in about half an hour. Spent the day helping the in the garden and moving some furniture around... My conservatory now looks like a room to live in as opposed the back room of a breakers yard, very pleased about that.

Forgot to drink much water, not as bad as Monday but still dehydrated me enough to feel like death this morning, I'm on my forth pint of water and fruit juice and still haven't been to the bog!

My med's do dehydrate me a little but I thought I'd gotten use to that, obviously I need to be really careful when it's hot and make sure I drink plenty of water.

Everyone does if their active outside in the heat, so remember to stay hydrated people.

Comment

Working...
                      X