Abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs

ABS light comes on dash, just randomly not on all the time. Done it twice now but just pull over switch off and start again light goes out and stays out. Relay maybe or could this be the start of something more sinister!

Might be a dirty ring or sensor. Have you checked for codes?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks Dave. Not checked for Codes, wouldn't know how too. Car's a 1990 aqc 7a engine.

Comment

Ok, not sure if you can read codes on that early car. Have you got a black plug and a white plug on the side of the fuse box? You need an adapter (available on ebay) and a copy of VCDS (cheap version free from interweb) to read codes. If you are near West Wales I have full VCDS and can help.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

There's no computer diagnostic option on abs under 1994. Only multimeter, oscylloscope and visual inspection.

Comment

Thanks for that. I am aware there is no obd port. All I wanted to know is if anyone else had come across this. This is why I don't do the forum anymore with smart answers like that. Never mind I'll sort it

Comment

I think he was just trying to be helpful.
              You can buy a cheap oscilloscope these days and just connect up to each and sensor and check you have a nice wave.
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Dave is right - I'm not trying to be a smartass, just wanted to save you some time looking for diagnostic tools that are no use in this case.
                Usually dead sensors or broken wires triggers light/error instantly, broken rings after short distance of driving. Incorrect gap between sensor and ring or some rust on the ring usually makes abs to work at very low, nearly stopping speeds. Never heard of control unit going bad.
                Since restart cures the problem, it might be sticky relay (there's 2 of them in abs unit and one somewhere else) or solenoid causing this.
                These intermittent issues are pita to catch out especially in this case where are no "error memory" you can read. I'd wait and see if it gets worse and then make measurements according to wiring diagram - http://s2central.com/S2_Schematics/D/D26.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X