turbo shaft play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo shaft play?

how much side to side or up down pulling on shaft is acceptable on a new turbo or should there be none?

It's in and out you want to worry about. On a new turbo the shaft will move up and down loads IME.
    SS

Comment

on my car when i pull away 1 st 2nd nd on boost sounds like a scrathing or cathing sound like the blades is catching the housing , i can feel shaft play up and down or side to side , on turbo not tried it longitudanally though

Comment

Originally posted by AUDI COUPE 20V View Post
        on my car when i pull away 1 st 2nd nd on boost sounds like a scrathing or cathing sound like the blades is catching the housing , i can feel shaft play up and down or side to side , on turbo not tried it longitudanally though
        I have exactly the same problem! my turbo also sounds like its scraping against the housing - the problem only appeared after getting a new exhaust system fitted - but the fact that the fitter was using a hammer on my down pipe might not have helped.
        I've had this for about 1500 miles now and not noticed any loss of performance (noise seems to be dying down a bit too).
        When did the noise start for you? Had you had any work done just previous?
        sigpic

Comment

It shouldn't make that noise... if its getting quieter it is probably wearing away which it shouldn't do either..

Max side play on an oil journal turbo (K26) is .55mm. end float is .2mm i would imagine its the same for a K24.

But best to check it out you don't want a blade to snap off and pass through the engine, the cold side is easy to check with a mirror and torch.

Good luck.

Comment

the turbo shall NOT have play in/out( if so, look for oil leak by the inlet/ cooler)
            the play Up/ down, shall NOT have the blades in the walls... if so the turbo are gone.
            tips: by a new one with 360 bearing, and not with 270 or BB bearing..... the trucks and lorrys does have 360 bearing.........

Comment

mmm, a K24 with 360 bearing... how will that be?

Comment

it will last longer, and can accept higher boost too

Comment

bro! the safe shaft play is "safe" when the wheel blades doesn't touch the housing... too much play will cause damage to the blades, a loss or total loss of boost pressure, a constant damage to the bearings that will end in a much worse damage including the engine.

Mery christmas to you and all the forum members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  - Looking for a S2
                  - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                  - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X