Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3B Engine Rebuild Retrofitting ABY Components

I currently run a standard 3B Engine

I am going to rip out the engine and have considered rebuilding it...

However, is it worth it? Ideally I would like to source the ABY as it has coil packs instead of distributor and also has the overboost features...aswell as dual mass flywheel and various other bits....

Can these be retrofitted to a 3B engine???

The engine is sweet at the moment but I want to get 550 BHP and she deserves a good clean....

what do u think I should do chaps???

You dont want a dual mass fly wheel for a start

You can stick with the 3B block and head and change to a ABY/ANN/ADU loom to run coils or you can go for a after market ecu, vems?

I guess this is not going to be a daily drive?
    Chef

Comment

3B Engine Rebuild Retrofitting ABY Components

Cool just googled the Dual mass flywheel and see exactly what your saying now....

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...svsSolidFW.htm

the car is going to be my toy, but will drive it a fair amount as I love speed....

Do you think reliability would be a problem running such a high BHP?

Comment

Originally posted by jamie.neilson View Post
        Cool just googled the Dual mass flywheel and see exactly what your saying now....

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...svsSolidFW.htm

the car is going to be my toy, but will drive it a fair amount as I love speed....

Do you think reliability would be a problem running such a high BHP?

Your almost treading in annual rebuild territory, this power will punish the whole car.

Check some of the projects out, theres a few 3B ones including my own and another good one is 4wheeldrifters not forgetting Bo's and Andy P's stroker project
        Chef

Comment

I'd say that 400-450bhp with say 600Nm on tap is OK for daily drivers as long as the thing is built right with strong internals etc etc... And you shouldn't be needing much regular maintenance on running gear unless you are running the traffic light grand prix every day.

When you get into 500bhp and beyond with equally rampant torque values then its a different matter - the drivetrain takes a real pummelling and as such these machines tend to do relatively few miles on the road and spend the rest of their time at track days, drag strips or the garage being fettled, fixed and tweaked.

Doesn't really matter if your starting point is 3B or ABY but the big monsters tend to be ABY cos of the direct ignition as stated.

If you wish, a reputable tuner like MRC could get you running at those levels on the Motronic ECU - and advise suitable turbo, manifolds and engine internals for that level of poke.

Alternatively, on the aftermarket route it would appear that VEMS is best based on what I've heard here from those who have dabbled with it.

Oh and yes - SM flywheel is best for big monsters - gives you more choice on H/D clutches too. Oh and you'll need an 016 or 01E gearbox

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'd thought about going down the aby road as i too wanted 1 coil per cylinder. But worked out the cost, to buy an aby engine (guess you prob don't need the whole engine?) loom and ecu prob not much change out of a grand and you don't know what sort of nick the engine is in till you start stripping it down. A vems ecu and all the other bits to convert to 1 coil per cylinder is a little under a grand iirc and most of it is plug and play. Rather than stripping out the 3b loom to fit one from an aby.
            Just my thoughts that's the way i'm going i think

Comment

i have 3b engine with coil packs and aby loom it isn't a problem just use coil for cam position sensor

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
                i have 3b engine with coil packs and aby loom it isn't a problem just use coil for cam position sensor
                Excuse my ignorance, but how does that work with using coil for cps?

Comment

i think he means Distributor.

Comment

Think he means us the hall sender o/p off the dizzy as the cam position sender instead of messing round with mods to the block to 'ABY' it, a la sensor at the front?
                    Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Yes - I think thats what is meant - its a good compromise... Still direct ignition but using the early AAN dizzy for CMP/Hall Sensor... Needs 3B, 7A or AAN inlet camshaft of course.
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                        i think he means Distributor.
                        thank you , thats what i meant a dizzy i think i've got coil on my brain

Comment

Working...
                        X