Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right Lads, I need to know your thoughts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Lads, I need to know your thoughts....

Okay my sister owns a blue Ford Mondeo (I know, I know, this is an Audi S2 forum, please don't spear me!!) For months and months we have heard a suspicious rattling noise coming from various areas of the car. (Carla thinks its coming from underneathe the car, I think it's the front bumper and Ross thinks is just below the front bumper)
    We've had it checked out and the garage lads are puzzled about it, we thought the bumper was loose, but nothing prooves the theory to be correct.

What could this rattling mean? Apparently there is a small crack on the underside of the front bumper around a bolty thing.

The rattling sounds worst when braking and starting off.

Its only the blue ones that do that poss service tray loose/fixings missing? Would have thought Ross could have sorted it out for family
    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Exhaust brackets loose?

What engine is in it?
      93 S2 Avant Parting
      91 URQ RR
      02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Exhaust heat shields tend to rot and come loose causing a rattling
        '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Engine? How the heck do I know??? I've opened the hood a few times and seen a dirty black square thing which I'm guessing is the engine....It's a big one. That's all I know.

*shrugs* So if it is something to do with the "Exhaust heat shields" does it need to be fixed? Or is it not a problem?

Comment

Let's do some diagnosis....

Does the car have to be moving for the rattle to be heard?
            If moving, does the rattle stop/change when braking?

please report back...it will help narrow the possibilities
            Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1995 S6 Sedan
            1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

and do you really want to know what goes on inside a mans head? :mischeif:

For the problem in hand, does the rattle change/appear if you accelerate while driveing, or if your stationary and blip the throttle?
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

the basics would be really helpful in order to the assembled masses to offer some guidance.

Go to the back of the car and see what the badges say, is it a TDCI? (diesel) does it say what engine size it is? Prod Ross he should know...

Rattles could be from all sorts of things from a loose bolt on a bracket to something far more serious.

What was the last work carried out on the car......etc etc etc

Can of worms until some the detail is provided I'd say.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If it's any help i have a Mondeo TDci (To get to and from work only so leave me alone..) and it too makes a similar noise to the one you're describing. Had it looked at after failing to do a self diagnosis and nothing was found... Done many miles since, it's still there and hasn't got any worse. My best advice is to do what i'm doing and sell it! I absolutely hate mine...
                  Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

A shrug and "dunno" didn't get rid of this one then

Rattle is not engine related. I thought it was a loose front bumper but it seems secure. The only only sound I've heard that was simliar, was when i had a strut cap loosen and there was play with the shock aborber. It's not a metallic rattle, deffo from the front of the car, and mainly evident when it's bumpy under acceleration or braking. If it is suspension related, there doesn't appear to be any handling issue but then it's not like I've thrown it around on the street...

As it passed an MOT i figure that ruled out most wear items in need of replacement...
                    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Where are the cats located? Could be something loose inside it bouncing around

Comment

Doe's the car have hub caps.?
                        I know sounds stupid but my mother (bless here) had same sort of problem, car went to here local "mechanic" , to no avail, so i poped round to have a look.
                        Turned out to be a stone in one of the hub caps , just goes to show what sounds pretty major can be so simple.
                        Hope this is the case for you Daisy.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wheel arch liners...?
                          Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Working...
                          X