Brake Disc Backplates! for my 1991 3B Coupe'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Disc Backplates! for my 1991 3B Coupe'

Before I came across the Forum early last year I started the task of putting my scrapped S2 that I had found rotting away in a garden for over 5 years back together!!

I changed all the belts leads plugs filters discs and pads but when changing the discs I noticed the brake disc backplates had disintegrated!

I went to GSF with no luck! So off to the main dealer..... I ordered the parts with no problem!

When I went to pick them up they immediately looked too small, and the ones for the rear didn't look anything like the old ones! They were like an odd "L" shape and when I went to fit them, surprise surprise they didn't fit!!!

When I got one of the old ones off they and compared them they were completely different...

So I went back and the Audi dealership guy who was a good guy (gave me loads of discount) wasn't there and another parts advisor told me that they were the correct ones and either I was fitting them wrong or that the car must be modified!

The car looked completely standard to me and uses the standard factory discs calipers and pads.

So to cut a long story short I need to replace these and wondered where I might be going wrong here????

I got a refund on the parts from Audi without any problems but its left me without the covers!!!

The wealth of knowledge you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jamie

I'd call vagparts.....they will be able to source the correct ones for you i'm sure and more than likely first time
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

To be honest - I wouldn't even fit them. Brake disc backplates are the work of the devil... I've had stones get trapped up there before now. I have none on my car... The odd bit of water splashing about doesn't worry me one bit.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

However, if you feel you must have them - you need :

8A0 615 311 B and 8A0 615 312 B at the front.
        893 615 611 and 893 615 612 at the rear.

They are about £18-20 each from the dealers plus VAT.

Plus the wee M6 bolts - N 905 293 01 - three each one IIRC.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
          To be honest - I wouldn't even fit them. Brake disc backplates are the work of the devil... I've had stones get trapped up there before now. I have none on my car... The odd bit of water splashing about doesn't worry me one bit.

Paul
          I would echo that comment, just changed my rear wheel bearings today and made sure that the break disk backplates went flying right in the bin.
          The front ones went ages ago when my bigger calipers were fitted. Have not had a bit of trouble with out them...
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Excellente!!!

In that case chaps they are coming off, Vagparts quoted me £88 with forum discount, which is alot for something that doesn't really do much!

this thread can be closed, and thanks again guys for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X