Help with problematic Audi TT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with problematic Audi TT

Just wondering if anyone could comment on a problem a friend is experiencing with an Audi TT

The car is a 2001, 225BHP model. She reports that when in 6th gear it sometimes refuses to accelerate, yet the rev counter rises along with the sound of the engine - as if its back in neutral or somehow dropped out of gear.

It occured today when driving on a motorway. Car was in 6th gear and behaving correctly. As traffic slowed she braked a bit and then went to accelerate as traffic began moving again. However despite not touching the gear lever, it revved hard (up into the red) but didnt go anywhere. She put the car down into 5th gear and everything worked again, and after putting it in 6th again it was fine once more.

This apparently has been happening quite a lot, and I hoped to offer some useful suggestions before she takes it into the stealership.

Any thoughts... Other than my suggestion to sell it and buy an S2 !!!

That would be greedy, having two S2s and all Dan

Could it be possible that the gearbox mounts are weak and somehow the stick pops out just enough to disengage from the gear?

Comment

Is this DSG or a pure manual???

Cheers,

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Hey fella (cullam3n). Its a girl I work with, so I wouldn't get to drive it if she did sell up and buy an S2. One is enough for me !!! Sounds like a good suggestion, I will let her know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
          Is this DSG or a pure manual???

Cheers,

Steve.
          Its a manual gearbox.

Comment

sounds like clutch slip?
            more likely in higher gear, so just happening in 6th makes sense.....
            sigpic

Comment

Yep I agree - sounds like the clutch slipping. If it's not worn out it could be contamination. Also, I don't know what the gearboxes are like but I know that sometimes on the Mk4 Golf 1.8T's the clutch can be contaminated by brake fluid, is the level low?
              1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
              2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
              1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

IMHO if it was clutch slip, you would see it in other gears other than six.

Could it be a gearbox / gearlinkage fault, and it's not actually in gear, even though the driver thinks it is?

cheers,

Steve.
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

clutch starting to wear or as said above contaminated from either rear oil seal or brake fluid from slave cylinder,most likely just a worn clutch though...

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                    IMHO if it was clutch slip, you would see it in other gears other than six.
                    Higher gear = higher load.
                    I had that problem with my bike after engine tuning with a stock clutch. It was fine until it was in 6th gear.
                    SS

Comment

Try the old slip test, car stationary hand brake on tight, into 6th gear plenty of rev's and try to pull away if clutch bite's and stall's car then clutch ok, on the other hand if car rev's increase and your going nowhere the clutch is nacked.
                      Easy but effective test.

HTH
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like clutch to me, get her to hold the gearstick when she is in sisxth if she cant feel anything moving it will be the clutch

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys - I'll let the owner know.

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                            Higher gear = higher load.
                            I had that problem with my bike after engine tuning with a stock clutch. It was fine until it was in 6th gear.
                            I stand to be corrected, but I would expect slip in other gears up to sixth...

Ask the driver to pull away in third....

Cheers,

Steve.
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X