Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just been told my tracking can't be adjusted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What

do you think of this construction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Laser-Spurmessger...sid=p1638.m123

Any use?
    '93 Audi S2 Avant panthero black, 412.000km
    '94 Audi S4 C4 Avant 303Tkm, KW, Brembos, BN-Pipes, Bose, S6 front (sold)
    '93 Audi S4 C4 Avant, 260Tkm
    '88 Audi 100 Avant turbo 44Q
    '84 Audi 80 quattro tornado red
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
      do you think of this construction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Laser-Spurmessger...sid=p1638.m123

Any use?
      Looks very interesting
      1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
      1994 80E Avant
      1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        can you elaborate at all on your method?
        But of course
        What I use is a digital level and a straight piece of wood that I have modified so that it clears the center of the wheels (can use a regular level, a caliper and some math instead, but the digital level is faster to use). This tells me the camber angle. Using two tape measures to set the toe (tracking). One tape measure on the front side of the tires and one on the back (at the same height) Adjust steering rods until the tape measures read the same (for 0 toe, or adjust for toe in or toe out), then fine tune both rods by the same amount to get the steering wheel centered. Note: tires with grooves that run in the circumference of the tires are required, for example Conti Sport Contact 2 or 3(and many others). If the tires don't have grooves that run the circumference of the tires, one can insert a pin and roll the tire back and forth.
        Furter instructions can be found on the net (lots of autocrossers in the US do such alignment adjustments all the time). I'm using wax paper placed under the tires to make them move easily, and settle in the correct position.
        The laser tool listed on the German Ebay (link in post above) looks very slick, definitely helpful when adjusting toe on cars that don't have tires with such grooves.
        Last edited by EspenW; 1 February 2008, 17:13.
        1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
        1994 80E Avant
        1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

great! thanks for the advice
          I'm fitting new track rod ends and adjusters tomorrow hopefully, so i'll use this to get it roughly right so i can then drive to the alignement place without killing my tyres
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X