Horrible Ticking noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Ticking noise!

I am getting a horibble ticking noise coming from the engine sometimes..

It sounds as If there is no oil and then will go away again... It generally happens if I thrash the car, oil pressure is fine, and oil level is fine, It was happening a while back so I did an oil change and engine flush and still no joy, any ideas??

Is could be described as a blowing manifold possibly! I did hear that S2's are known to have cracked manifolds???

your help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Jamie

doubt you would hear a cracked manifold when hot, they normally tick or blow when cold. it could be hydraulic lifters though that a bit worn and rattle.

Iain

Comment

is that a big job to put right??

Jamie

Comment

The oil level does like to be right at the top end of the marker - try this first if you haven't already

Comment

will give it a go, I think its half way up at the moment!

Comment

the lifters isn't a a bad job actually, it's camshaft out though to do it. oh and plus 1 on the oil level,they don't like half on the dipstick and what grade of oil are you using??

Iain

Comment

i'd start with an oil+filter change. If it hasnt been done in a while and the oil has aged then i have known them tick like that
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'll add one more possibility.......

If you can determine that it is the lifters that are complaining you might want to check the oil pickup tube by removing the sump. Sometimes after a flush is done there are large pieces of sludge that can come loose, which is what you want in a flush. But problems can arise when these more solid pieces become lodged in the screen on the bottom of the sump pickup tube which can cause oil pressure loss and starvation

Comment

I would check the distributor gear as well while you have the cam cover off as if it is worn, it to makes a ticking noise
                  93 S2 Avant Parting
                  91 URQ RR
                  02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

You are not the only one. I get the ticking after I have given the car some beans.
                    '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

if its after a good thraching its more than likely the oil viscosity changing due to heat. Try some oil with better temperature stability
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah tbh i'd say its the oil I used to get this till I changed the oil. I found it was either low oil or high temp which caused mine till I changed my oil I don't get it now.

Comment

what oil weight are you using now Jamie?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

This used to happen on my Coupe with 10w40 oil

Doesn't happen on 10W50 or 10W60 although it could just be masking a problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X