Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advise for a novice please

Hello all,

I have had my beast (totally stock ABY Coupe bar a few exterior changes - RS Grill, elipsoid lamps, RS4 17in alloys, clear indies) for a year now and I still can't wipe the smile of my face.

It's not been totally plain sailing - clutch master cylinder and the alternator have been just a couple of things that have gone wrong but by and large it's been relatively painless.

The time has now come for me to try and emulate some of the fine folk on this site by improving her starting with the suspension.

No doubt there are many on here that have been down this road and so I'm hoping you guys can guide and steer me towards the right path.

I want to lower her but not by a ridiculous amount that results in me loosing some of the comfort - I realise it's a bit of give and take when it comes to lowering her.

I was hoping I'd get some feedback on:

a) What shocks/springs to go for
    and
    b) The best place to get the said bits and pieces

Any advise given will be gratefully recieved and no doubt I shall be posting on here on a regular basis when figuring out:

a) What to do next
    and
    b) The best way to do it

Thanks in advance for your inout and keep up the good work.

S2Addict - S2 owner who once biten has forever been addicted!

Hi mate regarding lowering the s2 i used H&R springs which lower 40mm rear and 30mm
    front to keep the car level apparently .£200 plus
    sigpic

Comment

Once you have your suspension sorted out i would say a brake up grade should be next on your list,
      give BRY a pm on here, he should be able to sort you out with a good brake package and may be some help with you suspension needs
      Dez

Never did overtime until i purchased........s2

Comment

Originally posted by slow2 View Post
        On i would say a brake up grade should be next on your list,
        I would say the brakes are more important, but either way, get them sorted.

As for suspension, unless you live on a mirrir finish race track, I would get a ride in some other modded S2's before going too far with the suspension, as it can get VERY hard.

I personally think the best option is: -

Whiteline RARB
        RS2 FARB
        Standard springs
        Koni shocks
        Promounts (front)
        mount savers (rear)
        aluminium subframe mounts
        OEM (but new) wishbone bushes

That will still give a harder ride with much better turn in, but will not shatter your spine on UK roads. It will still roll on the track. but that just allows you to spin up all 4 wheels :mischeif: H&R springs with Billie shocks WILL shatter your spine, get a ride in S2Avants beast for a permanently broken back

Cheers n

Si
        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

I agree with HPmuirt.

That's the exact spec Corey is fitting to my Avant, with one possible exception - @HPmuirt - what are mount savers (rear)?

I've have a few Mk 1 Golfs and a Mk 2 Jetta syncro and I would agree with HPmirt as in Ireland for everyday use and even in England this is the sensible set up to have, even if lower on lower (harder springs) would look better, the car won't be a pain to drive on everything, but the smoothest roads!

Let us know how you get on with whatever you decide. Oh yeah, a bit the same with the suggested size of wheels, I'd say 17 inch Avus, even though 18 inch look better and 19 inch better again, but in the real everyday world after you pass 17 inch, the ride gets worse and you worry constantly about potholes and bad road repairs. The moment I drove my 17 inch just down the suburban road with 225/45/17 as opposed to the standard 16 inch Avus with 205/55/16 I could feel the difference, even at 30 mph.

I know I sound conservative and boring, but at 45 +, I've been there done that, and so now have eventually evolved to where I feel the suggested set up by HPmuirt is the best set up for everyday use. It is cheaper to go straight to it, rather than try everything else in between and eventually end up at the same place, with a much bigger hole in your pocket. Life experience. Lecture over. Like I say just my thoughts at my age.

Kind regards.

Comment

much appreciated

Thanks to you all for replying.

My brakes are in the process of getting upgraded - a little thing called money being the only thing preventing it being completed!

I have zimmerman's for the front and I'm in the process of sourcing the calipers so fingers crossed I should have them done soon along with upgrading the rears.

The reason I posted about suspension mods is because I've been well and truly bitten by the S2 bug and am thinking about what to do next and how to do it.

As I already knew, the only place to figure out the what, how, where and when to do stff on the S2 is this forum - an invaluable tool for any aspiring S2 owner!

Once again, many thanks to those that replied and the food for though provided is valuable indeed.

Here's to many successful mods on my beast and many more snippets of valuable info from the forum!

Pics will come soon - once I think she's worthy enough to be on here!

Those on here close to Ealing, West London - PM me and I'd be happy to meet up for a bev or 2 whilst admiring our beasts in the car park!

S2Addict

Comment

Working...
            X