Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current-gen VW Passat?

Hi all
    This may be anathema to all us 4-ring fanatics, but, what do people know, and think, of the current generation VW Passat?

I'm going to be needing a larger, but significantly cheaper-to-run car than my current 03 A4 Avant v6 quattro later in the year, for various reasons. I can't keep a Band G car in London, it's financially becoming stupid.

So, I'm going to have to go to the oily diesel side, but I've read enough about the 2.5TDi to think that's not the best way forward. The very modern 2.0TDis are seemingly excellent (170PS and chippable), but I can't afford one of those in an Audi. The 1.9TDi in the A6 is just too slow. I'd love to retain some sort of 4-wheel drive too.

My thinking today was the current VW Passat. BIG car, and significantly cheaper than the Audis. 2.0TDi is a Band D, so I won't get stung by Richmond Council, the DVLA or Red Ken. But, what's it like as a car? Anyone got any experience with it? Does the 2.0TDi come in 4-motion guise?

Argh.
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

I drove a latest gen' 1.9Tdi when they had just been launched - pleasant enough, very refined, but couldn't tell you what it felt like on the ragged edge as my boss (the owner) was in the car with me...
    Nothing feels fast for long...
    sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

They are basically bigger MkV Golfs. Transverse engines and running gear comes straight from the Golf platform. This gives it a big cabin space.

I've only driven a TDi140 which wasn't too bad. Typical VW smooth drive but a touch slow. I have been told the TDi170 is a much better car.

You can get them in 4motion as far as I know. It isn't Quattro though. It is the haldex setup used for all other transverse engine models. My current boss has a 1.9TDi 4motion which seems a strange setup.

They also have the electric handbrake assembly which can be a challenge to get used to.

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

my father in law has one, 2.0 tdi, 140 hp, limo, 6 speed, cruise control, leather steering...
        the car is good, but i hat the high dash, small windscreen. it is a car meant to be driven in a straight line.

fuel consumption 6,4l/100km average
        Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Hi Dan,

Yes it does come with 4-motion.

The press I have seen on it is basically, styling is a bit lacking but it's well bolted together, quite a drivers car and the engines are excellent for pull, emissions and fuel economy.

As mentioned offline, i'm in the same boat and seriously considering a passat 4-motion tdi sport.

kit levels are pretty good and there are some excellent pcp deals out there, evenon wishlist specs (xenons, dynamaudio satnav/setup, child seats within the seatbases, 17inch wheels, loadliners, rear blinds, weatherpacks etc etc. I had a quote with £5k down and 18k per annum for £400ish from memory. PM me and I can dig the quote out if needs be.

As much as i would like a 2.7tdi A6 Quattro, the costs are just too much to bear at the moment for me
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Accepting the lack of 4wd and the now undeserved stigma to the badge, but have you considered the Octavia? The vRS estate is available with two engines, one of which is the PD170 TDI, with a huge amount of toys inside and being usually even more value for money than the pissrat I'd would be considering it.

I have the hatchback TFSI, which I am extremely impressed with. And we use the estate versions at work, believe me you can get a huge amount of gear in the back of one of those and still have a car that will fly with the greatest of ease.

http://forum.funk-hq.com | http://www.no-rice.com
            twolitreturbooctaviavrs - '07 Skoda Octavia vRS - E.R.V.
            It might not be a 5 pot or an S2... but at least I have a 20v Turbo in my life again.

Comment

clipped from the company i had my quote through:

Good afternoon David,

Thank you for your quote enquiry. Please drop me a quick line by return, just to let me know you've got our response!

Your car price, on the road, including 12 months road fund licence (you can choose to include 6 or 12mths, wherever the DVLA offer a choice of rates)
              You will be first and only registered owner

Manufacturer: VW
              Vehicle: Passat Estate Sport 2.0 TDI 4MOTION 140ps £20722.00
              Metallic Paint: £335.00
              Extras:
              Cruise Control £186.00
              DVD Navigation/Radio System/rear view camera/MP3 and AUX socket for ipod & USB, plus DynAudio Soundpack and 6CD Changer £2348.00
              Gas Discharge (Xenons) Lights, dynamic curve lighting, headlight washers £738.00
              Heated Front Seats in conjunction with Cloth, inc heated windscreen, and washer jets £285.00
              Integrated Child Seats (for Black Interior only) £303.00
              Loadspace Mat rubber £36.00
              Sunblind - Rear Windscreen (Electrically Powered), and Rear Side Windows (Manual) £226.00

Total on the road price as above, including tax as shown, first registration fee, VAT, plates, delivery by road (trailering by arrangement), and up to a quarter tank of fuel on handover: £25179.00.

I have summarised your finance quote below. If you want to proceed with the finance offer, the dealer will provide your full written quote. You would also be required to go to the dealer to sign the paperwork.

Based on the above spec and pricing
              18000 miles pa
              Deposit £6000.00
              35 payments of £359.56
              Optional final payment of £9016.99
              Acceptance fee payable on top of first payment of £95.00
              Purchase fee payable on top of final payment of £60.00
              Total amount payable £27756.59
              APR 6.2%

If you want to take this further and order, and your email account accepts safe .pdf attachments, I can forward you the quote sheet, showing your chosen specification and price calculation, which our partnered dealers will give you.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, and a chance to answer any questions or quote on alternatives. If you can give me an idea of your timescale for ordering, I can manage your enquiry on my desk appropriately.

Your contract to purchase and dialogue will be direct with a normal main UK dealer, no third parties. You never pay us a penny, not even your deposit.

OUR ASSURANCES TO YOU
              You are not "buying a car on the internet". We simply provide a quote service on behalf of main brand dealers who enjoy higher volume sales from our advertising and quoting service. Your "contract to purchase" is as normal, direct with a main brand dealer giving this level of discount. There's no catch, just use us to arrange the quote, we cost nothing to use whatsoever.

We act just like a mortgage or insurance broker, simply collating the best deals and putting you and the dealer in touch to purchase at reduced rates due to the high volume of business we pass to them. Our own income is derived from commissions from the motor groups and dealerships, based on the sales we hand them in a given period. It is as simple as that.
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X