No announcement yet.

Bad news. Threw a rod and blew up my RS2ed 3B engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone post a photo of the two rotor arms side by side... It might be nice visual info along with the dimensional aspect we have discussed here. I've never paid much attention to this before - amazing what you can be utterly oblivious too when it doesn't affect you.

In summary, the root cause of the failure was the wrong rotor arm, but it also serves a reminder of the mechanical insurance provided by uprated conrods... They wouldn't stop the ignition hop, but would have much better chance of surviving the compressive strains when it happened.

Any other good tips on this for 3B owners running RS2 turbo in terms of a higher spec coil unit, or is it sufficient to drop the spark-plug gap to say 0.6 or 0.65mm as added insurance when running the correct rotor arm with stock rods ?

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Here you go.
      Attached Files
      Austin
      1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

Originally posted by shlab View Post
        Joe,

I just read something from RockinV8Q on Motorgeek about this. He had a 200 20v at 400whp on stock bottom end. And he made a very valid point. Why try to work AROUND fixing the problem instead of going to the source. T
        I personally think, before you add more money into a motor, invest in rebuilding your distributor and magnacor wires.

Emy
        Emy:

I believe that I purchased that very distributor from Keith (Rockin V8)...
        BTW he used Nology wires and narrow rotor and metal distributor gear...
        Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
        1991 Coupe Quattro
        1991 Coupe Quattro
        1995 S6 Sedan
        1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Not completely correct but close. 380whp with stock internals.
          http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/view...ghlight=#63229
          And a vid for fun RIP Evo Killa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeHo2hbi64
          Austin
          1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

I believe this problem with the wider rotor is mentioned at sjm autotechnik.
            with regard to the oil pump,check that the return valve isn't stuck open. This happened to me, a small piece of metal was flaked of the pump casing by a worn impeller and jammed the return valve open thus no oil pressure, the end rod at the flywheel end which is farthest from the pump went,but I wasn't going that fast and the car was stock, it chewed the bearings completely

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by shlab
              Joe,

I just read something from RockinV8Q on Motorgeek about this. He had a 200 20v at 400whp on stock bottom end. And he made a very valid point. Why try to work AROUND fixing the problem instead of going to the source. T
              I personally think, before you add more money into a motor, invest in rebuilding your distributor and magnacor wires.

Indeed. Uprated rods is not a bad idea, but in the case of these 3B engines, it is a band-aid, masking the real problem. Uprated rods might stand up to more beating, but with pre ignition, you are still bound to hammer the bearings and score the crank journals.
              It is like adding a dragster style parachute to a Redstuff equipped car instead of swapping the junk for proper stuff like Ferodos
              1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
              1994 80E Avant
              1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by shlab
                Joe,

Indeed. Uprated rods is not a bad idea, but in the case of these 3B engines, it is a band-aid, masking the real problem. Uprated rods might stand up to more beating, but with pre ignition, you are still bound to hammer the bearings and score the crank journals.
                It is like adding a dragster style parachute to a Redstuff equipped car instead of swapping the junk for proper stuff like Ferodos

Well, I have did some serious thought on the matter and decided to buy a 1995 S6 AAN engine near my home in Ohio. It only has 56K miles and is a nice long block with some other goodies on the block I will be able to sell to recoup my investment.

The parts yard wanted $2000 US for it and I talked him down to $1800 and with tax it cost me $1925.

I now need to find either a AAN ECU or and ABY ECU and a ABY S2 motor harness to complete the conversion.

THis change over I know will cost me more in the end but I feel that it will be a better route for the long term life of my project car.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this and I will get some photo of the carnage on the block posted for all to see, learn, and enjoy.

Regards,
                joe

Comment

Originally posted by AudiCoupeParts View Post

I now need to find either a AAN ECU or and ABY ECU and a ABY S2 motor harness to complete the conversion.

THis change over I know will cost me more in the end but I feel that it will be a better route for the long term life of my project car.

joe

Joe:

Just get an AAN harness - it will save you a bit of cash over trying to get an ABY harness....BTW, used AAN harness should cost you less than $200 USD

http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/..._Parts&id=7630

- There was an ABY harness on Audifans awhile back and seller wanted $750....
                  http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/..._Parts&id=6215

Here's an ECU-
                  http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/..._Parts&id=7536

-Peter
                  Last edited by PeterS; 26 February 2008, 16:00.
                  Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
                  1991 Coupe Quattro
                  1991 Coupe Quattro
                  1995 S6 Sedan
                  1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

what a bummer Joe - just seen this thread
                    Hope the AAN works out well for you, sounds like a good buy with that mileage.
                    Are you planning to give it a quick rebuild before it goes in and go for uprated rods and shells to be on the safe side?
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

No way.

I like "plug and play" and I am a ****-retentive. I like everything to fit perfectly and cleanly. I've seen aby harness' and Adu harness' go for about $200 or so also on ebay.

I hate cutting splicing and cobbling things together. I like simplicity and will pay a little more for that luxury.

My 3b S2 harness was a dream to install and my car fired up on the first turn of the key when it was ready. I have heard too many horror stories of electrical issues arise from a modified aan or 200 3b harness'. No thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by AudiCoupeParts View Post
                        No way.

I like "plug and play" and I am a ****-retentive. I like everything to fit perfectly and cleanly. I've seen aby harness' and Adu harness' go for about $200 or so also on ebay.
                        No wonder we've become good friends!

Glad you were able to talk the Ohio guys down a bit

Talk to ya tonight! I'll be in the garage assembling my new workbench. You can ring me there.

Comment

Sorry for trouble with this nice spec engine, guys May be i can give some tips - afaik If converting 3B to separated plugs - u can leave the lower dizzy part with hall sensor (early aan solution???) - and connect the hall sensor signal cable to AAN/ABY/ADU ECU. After that u can use either 1.8t coils (known and not reliable convertion) + ABY head cover, or u can use AAN commutators and plugs with the same cover or u can use 5x3b coils with good & reliable cables, and leave 3b cover - those are most productive. AFAIK 034 uses them as their "high performance solution"
                          this is pretty much of a theory, not yet proved by practice
                          rgds,
                          mike
                          - Racing. Cause football, baseball, bowling & golf take only 1 ball.

Comment

Working...
                          X