S2 Avant Variations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Avant Variations?

As far as I can make out S2 Avants were produced between 93 and 96, what are the differences between early and late cars and when abouts did they happen.

thanks for you help in my ongoing research

Cheers Jack

There is an avant that lives near me, it on a 'L' plate (not learner) and it has the old 5 spoke alloys and a 5 speed box, not sure about engine type.

I think the very early avants were 3B's and soon changed to ABY with the 6 speeder and the later 6 spoke Avus wheels

HTH
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I thought all Avants were ABY with a 6 speed box. Mine came with the original 5 spoke wheels.

Older ones have airbags and immobilisers, but otherwise its all down to options as far as I know.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Yeh I was wondering when the wheels officially changed.

I've also seen a picture of an early car with orange front indicators, is this right? When were the clear indicator/fog lenses fitted? also any other internal and external changes?

Comment

My one came with orange indicators - I changed them to clear.

I've also heard of an Avant with no roof rails. It was one of the very first S2 Avants - possibly a press car.
          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find either an Avant with orange indicators or 5 spokes, there are not many of them 'out there' most Avants you'll come across are going to be the 6 speeds with white fronts and 6 spoke Avus wheels.

Pleased to read you're going with the far superior Avant, not that leaky Coupe ;-)

Martyn
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf

Pleased to read you're going with the far superior Avant, not that leaky Coupe ;-)

Martyn
              Mine doesn't leak

It doesn't work but it doesn't leak!

David

Comment

MY95 and on have the new steering wheel configuration, which makes it possible to fit the 3 spoke sports steering wheel with airbag. MY95 and newer also have the immo integrated to the ignition key.

I've driven an '95 S2 Avant without roof rails, but don't know if it rolled out from the factory without them or if they had been removed later on.
                Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

Avus 6 spokes and clear front indicators were introduced for 1994 MY
                  Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Gents,

My Avant was the first brought into UK. It was used (abused) as the audi press car. It is the only UK Avant imported without roofrails (apparantly) It has the 5 spoke alloys, no airbag, Orange indicators. All avants came with 6 speed boxes. If you find one with a 5 speed box, I would suggest it has had a change of box!

David
                    '93 Avant. First Avant in UK. Original Audi Press Car.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                      Mine doesn't leak

It doesn't work but it doesn't leak!

David
                      Ditto!
                      Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by Minnsy
                        Gents,

My Avant was the first brought into UK. It was used (abused) as the audi press car. It is the only UK Avant imported without roofrails (apparantly) It has the 5 spoke alloys, no airbag, Orange indicators. All avants came with 6 speed boxes. If you find one with a 5 speed box, I would suggest it has had a change of box!

David
                        Hi Minnsy

Firstly thanks for pointing me here from PH it's a great source of info.

The main reason for this post is that I saw a blue avant for sale on ebay that claimed to be an S2 but it had aftermarket wheels (fair enough, but a potentially a good disguise), no roof bars and orange indicaors. It looked to have the correct blue cloth interior, but as I'm still a bit green I wanted to try to get an idea whats right and wrong.

If I find out any definite dates on the changes I'll post them here

Cheers Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Father Jack
                          It looked to have the correct blue cloth interior

:eek2: Where there any S2s with blue interior? Do you mean a blue dash as well?

I thought most had the black, some had grey.

Is that the one with the Kahn replicas thin 6 spokes? If it is, it doesn't look right to me.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

My Avant has a blue interior (Sapphire). The dash is however black.
                            Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

Yes the earliest S2 Avants have the 5 spoke wheels and orange indicators. The Avus alloys and clear indis came in with MY94. All S2 Avants have the ABY engine and the 6-speed gearbox. Like the Coupe, they had airbag options - with an ugly steering wheel at first, and they also had the factory IMMO from MY95 onwards.

The only S2 Avant I have ever seen without roof rails is Minnsy's one, so I dunno if that is because it was such an early one, or whether Audi later decided to fit them standard to all UK Avants.

ALWAYS check all the info on the VIN sticker in the service book as that will verify the engine and gearbox codes. I can also date the VINs on Avants or Coupes to a specific month which would help spot a possible clone.

Paul
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X