Supercharged and turbocharged 5 cylinder engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharged and turbocharged 5 cylinder engine

Having recently put a bigger turbo on my car, the wow factor when it kicks in was quite something. Howvever, the lag you suffer is quite a trade off. Someone I talked to recently (wish I could remember who it was - it's my age ) told me of a 5 cylinder engine that had a big turbo with no lag whatsoever. It used a supercharger to achieve this. The car is a 5 cylinder Volvo.
    I have been trying without success to find more infomation on this topic. Has anyone else heard about this? I guess the biggest problem would be the EM design?
    Apart from anything else, this could be a good discussion topic. All comments (preferably sensible ones) welcome.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

It doesn't help answer your question, but VW have done this in their current model range - a supercharger and a turbo, is it the Polo TSI?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

i am sure there was a thread which included supercharing combined with a turbo i will try and think of the toppic and thread
      never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

lag is a drawback with big turbos,thats why i went with a bi turbo engine for my project after many 5 cylinder years

Comment

There's a guy on the quattroforum who's been doing one, more as an 'on-off' project... Hasn't posted much about it lately though.
          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

this is the holy grail of forced induction and hugely complex to get right.

the Lancia Delta S4 used compound charging for the first time i believe, the twin charge polo is the second production car to use the system, i think that speaks volumes about its massive development cost and complex set-up. it took Fiat-Lancia-Abarth race team years to perfect the system, who knows how long it had taken VAG to make it practical and reliable in a road car.

the main issue is the clutch you need on the supercharger to disengage in harmony with the turbo's spool up and boost delivery - a very very very complex challenge.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
              Having recently put a bigger turbo on my car, the wow factor when it kicks in was quite something. Howvever, the lag you suffer is quite a trade off. Someone I talked to recently (wish I could remember who it was - it's my age ) told me of a 5 cylinder engine that had a big turbo with no lag whatsoever. It used a supercharger to achieve this. The car is a 5 cylinder Volvo.
              I have been trying without success to find more infomation on this topic. Has anyone else heard about this? I guess the biggest problem would be the EM design?
              Apart from anything else, this could be a good discussion topic. All comments (preferably sensible ones) welcome.
              Cheers
              Chris
              The car you are looking for is a darker orange swedish Opel (vauxhall) manta(?) with the coilovers sticking out of the bonnet. Some of our swedish friends on here know which one it is, and maybe they can help.
              The car is well done and can not be seen as a "opel manta" anymore but more of a pure perfectionist-kit-car.

Edit: Here you go!
              Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

The exhaust manifold wouldn't be a problem as the supercharger would be run off the engine via a pulley. The control and mapping of the two boost profiles from each unit would be fun though. Burn your credit cards before someone tells us they can do it.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by AndersS2 View Post
                  Fook me, that thing looks a bit of handful in those videos

Some jaw dropping custom engineering has gone into that
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Most use a electronic magnet clutch for the supercharger drive pulley so at a certain RPM the magnet shuts off and the supercharger isn't driven, optimal at higher RPM when the turbo is doing the work and supercharger is working overtime...

http://www.superquattro.com/

Thats the website Ian is on about.
                    Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                    1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

That manta is just a pure wheel spin machine!

Absolute perfectionist in the workmanship tho!
                      Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

Good idea Chris, no worries on EM design as supercharger is belt driven and so just needs to be plumbed into the inlet. You might need to bypass it to reduce drag or restriction when the turbo is going but it just requires some innovation. I've seen a fiesta with 300bhp and super-turbo chaged ness, they used a second TB that leaked ar between the SC and turbo, from memory it was actuated by a Sierra windscreen motor...

You'd have to play around with the location of radiators, alternators etc. but in the B2 engine bay there's got to be enough room. Should be able to run something like this off your aftermarket injection system too... Biggest problem is cost, it's going to be pretty horrendous... worth it though! :mischeif:

Of course you could just put the money into a 2.6 stroker and then get more of everything for much less effort
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

After market fuel injection system? I think that was the K-Star on my TSR conversion
                          Just to add to all this, I did forget to mention that the car in question has the screw type charger, so even more expense I guess? But this does seem to have raised a few eyebrows and started some headscratching.
                          Cheers
                          Chris
                          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

A lot of the cars that twincharge use the original 'roots' type charger as its the most readly available and provides instant boost. For just lag reducing reasons you could even look at Eaton m45's - they're used on the mini and clk 230 compressor. The bigger ones like m60 and m90 might not be necessary.
                            The even newer designed centifrugal type seem complete overkill and would not be suitable for our application as they have spool up time and CRAZY high end power - but we have turbos for that

One question i wondered about in the past when trying to learn about this was:
                            Will it require a remap if your car is already tuned with a bigger turbo?
                            Initially i thought of course it will, but keeping in mind that it has a completely mechanical function and all it does is force extra air into the IM. Therefore if your maf in relocated to pressure side and the supercharged air put through the maf before IM then surely is it not just picked up as more/ denser air and the fueling automatically adjusted by ecu?
                            (i could be missing something basic so it could be a dumb question)

-Sadiq

'95..80...ABY
                            '99...A4..110..SE
                            '99..Bora..110..SPORT

Comment

I know its not the perfect answer, but when you had your bigger turbo fitted, did you get it remapped?
                              I dont mean a generic chip... a proper custom remap for that car/setup

Comment

Working...
                              X