Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Vs S4

Greetings all,
    possibly the wrong place to request an unbiased opinion but S4 prices seem to have collapsed to that of S2 prices. So is it that S2's are better and holding their value more ?
    Are S4's 'more' troublesome and hence the prices they now command ?
    I was looking at S4 Avants couple of years ago, never got round to finding the one I wanted and now can't believe how relatively cheap they are bucks for bang ? I do like the slightly boxier look of the earlier S2s though
    Wonder what replies I'd get to the same question on an S4 forum

They have very different character really... Sometimes I think the S4 (A4 shape) can be a little boring and that V6 engine is so smooth that its just not exciting enough. BUT - the S4 is a good quick car that handles well and has lots of creature comforts. Sure it doesn't have the same bolt-on tuning potential as the S2 unless spending crazy money but thats not so important in the big scheme of things.

I prefer the style and sound of the S2, and that for relatively little money it can be turned into something capable of embarrassing lots of much more exotic machinery.

The big problem for the S2, S4 and all cars of that ilk is increasing petrol prices - I think that is a big factor in low prices as joe public is scared away by that and potentially big service / upkeep bills as FUD is enough to keep those of a 'mechanically challenged' nature to buy something that is younger and allegedly cheaper to run.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Dunno about the UK - but here in SA the prices of 2001+ S6's and RS6's have taken a huge nose dive.
      Tempting but the fuel price is worrying !

S2 Coupe fully built.
      10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
      Precision 6262 turbo
      The Green Monster

Comment

Paul,
        Some good points there, and although I would never call myself an 'expert' mechanic I have built a kit car from scratch a few years back I also guess I'm lucky in so much as it would be a second car plus I walk to work so petrol isn't an issue.
        I always liked the look of the S4 avant over the S4 saloon but its the other way round with the S2 ( well, S2 coupe anyroad ) but I must admit my mind could be changed after seeing MarkT's stunning black avant

It will be a couple of months before I'm in any position to buy either way as Mrs Berg has just shown me the quotation for the new roof we need

Jeyzus, I could get an 4.2 S4 quattro for that !!!!

Steve

Comment

Off subject slightly but you should see how much you can get an S8 for (2002 for £8.5k). I'd say they had taken the biggest nosedive. Plus you get all of the mega toys and comforts too. And anyone who was at ADI in 2007 will agree that they go quite well.
          I'd get one if I wasn't "pootling" with mine.
          UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

I would imagine just peering in the engine bay of an s4 will be enough to put off even the most determined petrolhead. I had a look after I had an incling for an s4 and I thought "sheesh, the s2's bad enough."
            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

s4 is fairly straight forward to work on,looks worse than it really is

Comment

motoberg,were you talking about urs4's or S4tt's?

Comment

The s8's that I saw at adi was not bad but david (s2driveruk) was still easily passing them when he took me out on the track as we got sent out with a complete field of them.

Comment

Spink,
                    I was talking about the S4(B5) 2.7 V6 Bi-Turbo 1998-2001 ish....

Comment

Any work on the car often means engine out... even changing radio stations...

Prepare for big bills, servicing or tuning.
                      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

a few grand will get you well over 400hp on an s4,similar costs to tuning an s2,after that the more power you want depends how much you want to spend

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
                          Any work on the car often means engine out... even changing radio stations...

Prepare for big bills, servicing or tuning.
                          Turbos ALWAYS fail and the engine has to come out to replace them. And there is 2 of them!
                          Even a thermostat is a front off car and front of engine off job. Beehatch of an engine to work on IIRC.
                          UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

The B5 S4 dont seem to have the character of an S2 either. Maybe down to the simple fact it doesn't have that 5-pot noise we all know and love? I like them, but they've never hugely appealed to me personally. I didn't realise they were so difficult to work on either.

Mark
                            '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
                            '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
                            '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
                            '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
                            '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
                            '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Comment

Well someone of us Audi nuts need a challenge. Here is a good exaple:
                              http://www.valitalo.org/audi_s4_widebody.htm

Now quattro less, my urs4 stolen 13.8

Comment

Working...
                              X