Seized bolt removal - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized bolt removal - any ideas?

This week I'm doing some bits and bobs on the car as I'm off work. Test fitted the 345mm A8 discs with my Hi-Spec calipers and they easily fit under my 17" S6 Avus's so I'm very pleased. Went to take the caliper carriers off.... and the bolts are pretty much welded in. I've made a serious mess of one of the bolts and now I don't know how I'm going to shift it.

I know there's a guy locally who has a "get you out of the sh*t" tool, he used it to get my knackered sump plug out. Whack it on with a hammer and it cuts into the bolt head, allowing you to remove the bolt. Only problem is I'd have to build the brakes back up on the old discs and drive it to him to get the bolt removed... and then what do I do! I can hardly ask him to wait while I fit my new brakes on his ramp...

Anyone got any ideas? I've got to get the carriers off to get some new ones made up.
    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

You need a set of these:-

£20 from Machine Mart.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Excellent, I'll give those a go! Cheap enough to be worth a shot..
      1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
      2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
      1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

Try heating it up too, I had the same problem trying to remove a rear caliper carrier and these saved me. Machine Mart also sell GT85 ( like WD40 ) which is worth a try.
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

maybe 2 sets. I have the set that goes up to 16mm but recently Rob (Nuvo) had to rescue me with his set that has a 17mm. For the caliper pins funnily enough. Those ******s seem to be made for rounding off.
          Vey, very handy those grip sockets.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          1990 CQ20v
          2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

had this problem on my mates a4 a couple of days ago,allen key bolts so just welded a 19mm nuts onto them.i know everybody doesn`t have a welder maybe your mates do

Comment

If they are allen bolts and not too foooked, try hammering in a 12 spline or torx bit- sometimes the shock of the hammer loosens it, otherwise as said above all work too!!

Comment

There is also that stuff that freezes bolts and helps crack them off, me and s2driveruk used it

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                  There is also that stuff that freezes bolts and helps crack them off, me and s2driveruk used it
                  Yes, but for large things, like rear adjusting rods - you need to use one can for one nut!

Sau
                  200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                  CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

i'm telling ya. lubricate with profanity. works for me.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    1990 CQ20v
                    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Working...
                    X