Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous owner surprises and bodges!

Dont you just love em?

There is nothing worse than these surprises, that always seem to appear when you least want them to!
    For example, removing some trim, or replacing the radio only to find a lovely spagetti bolognaise of wires, masking tape and other such nasties!

Thankfully Ive not found many, (or any atall, come to think of it) but today I finally did :mischeif:

I decided I would finally get round to fitting my new 3 spoke steering wheel (its only taken me about 3 months ) only to be stopped in my tracks by finding one of the bolts that holds on the airbag to the old wheel has been rounded off!
    So obviously someone has been here before.... which made me think, "hang on a minute, I dont think Ive ever noticed an airbag light" when the ignition is turned on.
    So reconnected the battery, and yes, I was correct

Now what?! I cant see it being possible to drill it out, due to its location, and as I cannot get the wheel off, it has now put my dash swap on hold until I can!

What hidden charms did you find in your car?

me, anton and stiglett found a spag bol of alarm wires for my alarm left by the previous owner, the alarms always been one thing I wanted to change but did not know how bad it was till I got a good look at this. Tbh i'm surprised it had not caused me many problems until recently when said wiring got wrapped around the steering column and pulled all the wiring for that up and around it ripping out alot of wires and my indicators.

To say that alarms getting ripped out asap is an understatement, i'll try get a picture of the handywork when I do it.

Comment

that is not nice....good luck getting that screw off...i hate this kind of thing...

Comment

When I got my Cossie, the alarm fitted at the time was playing up, so I decided to treat it to a new one.
        The old one had been 100% bodged in, and there were also still remains from one before that too!
        Plus, they had put the ecu for it in such a hidden position, we had to take out half the dash to remove it (not a bad thing really, but annoying at the time!)

By the time both old alarms, one siren and the best part of two alarm looms had been removed, there was near enough a bin liner full of it

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
          When I got my Cossie, the alarm fitted at the time was playing up, so I decided to treat it to a new one.
          The old one had been 100% bodged in, and there were also still remains from one before that too!
          Plus, they had put the ecu for it in such a hidden position, we had to take out half the dash to remove it (not a bad thing really, but annoying at the time!)

By the time both old alarms, one siren and the best part of two alarm looms had been removed, there was near enough a bin liner full of it
          well I will see what happens when mine's removed its a shame as its actually a good make of alarm from what I can tell.

Comment

I had a whole load of suprises waiting for me in my beetle. Mostly rust related, mixed with expanding foam!??!?

I found a G-string in my latest CQ. Can't say it really caused any problems but was definately a suprise...

Comment

Originally posted by stiglet View Post
              I found a G-string in my latest CQ. Can't say it really caused any problems but was definately a suprise...
              first and last time that will happen

Comment

I might of caused problems if the previous owner's wife found it

Comment

hammer a sightly bigger torx headed socket into the alen bolt to undo it

Comment

Originally posted by quattronutter View Post
                    No it's fine, i just unwrapped it and threw it away.

Comment

You cant get one on it, the bolt is deep in the back of the wheel

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
                        You cant get one on it, the bolt is deep in the back of the wheel
                        Find a mate you don't like and ask them to use a small leaver bar/breaker bar and yank it off.

Win win situation

Comment

Cause of investigation - Excessive Engine Movement

Found on investigation - Took off front bumper to mount a new 034 front engine mount snubber to help cure the problem and found that previous owner's garage had left out the three bolts on the turbo side that hold the front crossmember in place.

Unreal !

Was twice as tight when re-assembled though.

Mine so far.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                            wiring got wrapped around the steering column and pulled all the wiring for that up and around it ripping out alot of wires and my indicators.
                            Had a very similar problem with an aftermarket immobilizer kit, in my case the steering column wore through the + wire and it all went on fire

I probably hold the world record for retrieving a 10mm spanner from the toolkit and disconnecting the battery
                            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Hammer + Airbag Not a combination I'd like to try.
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X