merc CLS 320cdi v S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merc CLS 320cdi v S2

from 40 to 3 figures theres not a lot in it, S2 has the edge after ,tourqy ******* that deisel
    sigpic

Chroist. These modern diseasels are dangerously fast. And they do good economy. But they sound shyte!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Well thats 3.2l turbocharged diesel - probably multivalve and variable blade turbo tech - top of the game in diesel so thats going to have some torque for sure... Cost what ÂŁ40k (I dunno) and you held him in a 15yr old car worth almost a tenth of that - no tears there !
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

True paul ,we both went out of our way to see how they would perform as i had previously past him flat out in 3rd and he had his window down
        sigpic

Comment

This was on a private road blah blah blah...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            Well thats 3.2l turbocharged diesel
            Yet another "new diesel rocks" blah blah blah story. But wait, are we comparing apples to apples? Recently I had a discussion about it. Checked numbers, and as expected. Those hightech diesels, even chipped are no match for same aspiration petrol ones!. Okay, 3.2 diesel rocks boosting 2+ bar if you compare it to 2.0 or 2.2 petrol boosting 0.8 bar (big engine, high boost and smaller engine low boost). But If you compare it to 3.2 petrol, boosting 2+ bar, they look punny!.

Sau
            P.S. Now Diesel_des will come and will prove otherwise
            200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
            CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes these new age diesels are quick.

I have been fortunate (maybe the wrong word on this forum! ) to spend alot of time in the new BMW range but the 535d was rapid. For B road driving it was easy to maintain the sort of speed the S2 is capable of when I am pushing on.

There arean't many cars about that will keep with a 535d in gear thats for sure.

Comment

The CLS 320 has a 3L engine with 224bhp.
                It has 137hp available at 1800rpm (398lb-ft at 1800rpm), so it will pull well from a rolling start, if stuck at low rpm.
                Torque sells diesel cars, horsepower wins races :mischeif:
                1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                1994 80E Avant
                1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

They are not that fast.
                  I know someone with a stock e36 m3 (3,2L) that is faster than a chipped 535D, even a 335D chipped!

Look at youtube for the movies, search: bmw m3 vs 535d

Comment

Originally posted by Ws2 View Post
                    They are not that fast.
                    I know someone with a stock e36 m3 (3,2L) that is faster than a chipped 535D, even a 335D chipped!

Look at youtube for the movies, search: bmw m3 vs 535d
                    No surprise. The M3 has 321hp. A stock 535/335 engine has 282hp, a chipped somewhat more, probably. The diesel has 142hp at 1750rpm (428lb-ft at 1750rpm) so it is much stronger at low rpms, but who stays below 2500rpms in a race?
                    1994 80E Avant

Comment

The Beemer has 350hp en 700Nm of diesel power.

Comment

The diesel should beat it, then, but might be held back by low redline.
                        If that 700nm is at same torque peak as stock, it means it has 171hp at 1750rpm. Nice for getting a trailer rolling, but not of much help in a race.
                        Last edited by EspenW; 15 July 2008, 11:08.
                        1994 80E Avant

Comment

ok, but that is a diesel! tons of torque. We are 2.2, they are 3.2, he's a 6pot (diesel or not, it's a six), we're 5pot! and the difference in the power/torque curves are big... the V6td dies at 4000rpm, we are starting to get a lot of fun at 4000!
                          - Looking for a S2
                          - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                          - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ll2H_1bgvjQ&feature=related 1,9tdi vw seat toledo vs bmw + + +

Comment

Working...
                            X