New Paypal SPAM alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paypal SPAM alert

I received a somewhat official looking Email from 'paypal' today telling me someone had sent me a few hundred dollars. I wasn't expecting any money - nor did I recognise the name... It included a link that would spawn off into a phishing site where it would lift anyone entering their paypal username and passwd.

This didn't catch me as I dont have that much going on at Paypal - but it could catch someone unawares if they do lots of eBay auctions and dont always check everything.

It had the Paypal logo and wording quite close to theirs as well. The only indicator in the wording that something was amiss was a reminder to increase the withdrawal limit on bank accounts... Pretty stupid really if your login info gets phished as the hacker can do that anytime he logs on.

Keep an eye out !

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

I haven't seen this, although last week I received an influx of bogus CNN News alerts. Click on some far fetched sounding tabloid b0llocks and who knows what might happen. These seem to have disappeared, then I got some MSNBC news alerts of a similar type. Thankfully I haven't seen them again.

I was a bit upset to see this type of guff as I've been enjoying spam free email for quite a while now.

The CNN news alerts looked quite pluasible albeit for sensational headlines. The MSNBC didn't get warrant my scrutiny. I just deleted them immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
      I haven't seen this, although last week I received an influx of bogus CNN News alerts. Click on some far fetched sounding tabloid b0llocks and who knows what might happen. These seem to have disappeared, then I got some MSNBC news alerts of a similar type. Thankfully I haven't seen them again.

I was a bit upset to see this type of guff as I've been enjoying spam free email for quite a while now.

The CNN news alerts looked quite pluasible albeit for sensational headlines. The MSNBC didn't get warrant my scrutiny. I just deleted them immediately.
      I am getting all of these.....

cheers for the tip off Paul...

Comment

As a general rule in life, I never follow any links in e-mails from paypal, ebay, banks or whatever.
        1990 urquattro 20v
        2006 A6 Dagger

Comment

Tis a good general rule alright...
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Wait until someone successfully pulls off this DNS hack - then you'll be going to paypal.com and actually loading a phishing site

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post

Not just me then!
            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Yeah but thats pretty tricky --- the plain ordinary phishing is low tech and will catch enough people who aren't savvy / awake enough for such things.

Could do lots of damage - say they request 1000 quid to be transferred from your bank... Getting that reversed after it has been spotted will be a nightmare as it will have all the appearances of a legit request - especially for those folk using eBay & Paypal a lot.

Another good reason to NOT associate Paypal with any accounts that have serious money in them. Scarey.....
              Paul Nugent

Comment

I have to say that outlooks junk mail and phishing filter is actually quite good at stopping these. It is more of a problem on mobile mail sites like hotmail, gmail etc

Comment

yeah especially now the DNS exploit is in the open. With regard to emails check where the email has come from. And type the URL directly in the browser, not following links in emails. There is a surge in the CNN type phishing because of the olympics too.
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

There are a few things to do if you are particularly worried about a mail/webpage.

I tend to never use a link in an email, even if it is from a friend (who is to say they dont have a virus?)
                    Type the URL in the web browser as mentioned, or if you are really paranoid type the IP address of the website!
                    You can set your router/computer to use specific DNS servers so you can check that you are not using a dodgy one.

But I think the two most important things are to type the URL yourself, and DON'T use the same password for everything!

I like to use one password for most the forum/bebo type sites and different, stronger ones for ebay/banking/mail etc, none of those ones are the sameand they change regularly.

Also, I like to use a dedicated email address for cr@p I don't really want to register with, soif a bank email or ebay email comes to that address i knowit is phoney right away

Le Mans 2012
                    Nurburgring 700
                    1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                    X