Advice on this purchase, please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on this purchase, please :)

Well after a fair bit of reading, research and keeping my eye out i think i`ve finally found the s2 i want. Shes the only one on Auto TRader atm the 93 in green for three and a half. Spoken to the guy and theres a few issues i`d love for any comments or previous experience on these, so here goes.
    He has raised these
    1. The electric sun-roof tilts ok, but only slides a little way before becoming stuck.
    2. There is a slight indication of rust under 'unbroken paint' on the edge of the bonnet on the drivers side. Hardly noticeable and has not deteriorated over the 6 years that I've had the car.
    (I am particularly concerned about this, is it relatively expensive to have this repaired?)
    3. I've fitted a new air con condenser and drier. However, when I went to a local VW dealer to get it re-cahrged, there was a leak from a union within the engine compartment (easy access). I put new seals in, but have not been back for a re-charge since doing it.

As always any comments are most welcome as i enter this unfamiliar territory
    Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about the bonnet,they're not repaired/painted any differently than your average car.Plus they are the same as all the Audi 80s of the same period so can be picked up for £20-£30 from a breakers yard.Main area for rust on a S2 is the front wings where the bumper is attached,plus the subframes are looking pretty crusty on a lot of them now.
    Last edited by spink; 27 October 2008, 19:08. Reason: sh*te spelling

Comment

No 2...is it towards the windscreen end of the bonnet??....as mine has a similar "rash"...but I am keeping an eye on it..
      so probably not too much to worry about....in the big scheme of things when entering the world of S2 ownership!!..

Mike

Comment

The aircon is likely to cost at least £80 to fix.

There are 3 aluminium pipes in the system which cost between £80 and £130 each. All have tight bends which perforate over time and therefore leak - far more likely than the seals. They are a pain to change, possible to patch, but way to thin to TIG.

Cheers n

Si
        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Yep, as mentioned,chances are its more than just a simple re-gas, otherwise no doubt he's have had it done. Get him to sort it before hand if its so simple,otherwise if you're serious thats the first bartering point. (its getting to f'kin cold for that air con business anyway tho!)

I just had a quick look on Autotrader, if its the green one looks like an earlier S2 (3b) with a nasty (but clean) interior. As for that old MG style steering wheel...ohh dear! Looks like a later ABY engine bay tho as cant see the battery. (Others will be able to help more on that). I'd do a bit more digging chap...

Comment

Looks like an early ABY to me.

Check out this car too, http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/729083.htm.

Remember, mileage isn't an issue if it's looked after properly. This one has the bonus of leather interior and IF you were ever looking for more power it already has most of the parts you need fitted.

Perhaps it would be worth letting people know where abouts the car on autotrader/you are based as I'm sure somebody would go and check out the car with you to make sure it's a goodun

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
              Yep, as mentioned,chances are its more than just a simple re-gas, otherwise no doubt he's have had it done. Get him to sort it before hand if its so simple,otherwise if you're serious thats the first bartering point. (its getting to f'kin cold for that air con business anyway tho!)

I just had a quick look on Autotrader, if its the green one looks like an earlier S2 (3b) with a nasty (but clean) interior. As for that old MG style steering wheel...ohh dear! Looks like a later ABY engine bay tho as cant see the battery. (Others will be able to help more on that). I'd do a bit more digging chap...
              Actually, I would say that it is an early ABY.

The engine bay is ABY, not 3B with and ABY engine transplant and the rear Badge is ABY. The early (cross-over) ABY's had 3B alloys.

A plus point is that it has cruise control and the 6-speed box but the interior is truely hideous

I agree with Darren, get him to sort the aircon or tell him that the pipe will cost £130 plus labour. Overall, I say go for it if you have a strong stomach or plan to change the wood out for something a little more teutonic (and a little less Austin Maestro Vanden Plas)

Cheers n

Si
              95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
              Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
              With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Or buzz me as about to take the EM off mine plus put the ECU to standard and then on SALE for a steel.

PM me quick as heading to the garage tonight!

)

J

Mines the S2 on Piston heads as above
                S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Looks fairly decent to me, honest and original apart from that hideous steering wheel!

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yep, early ABY with aweful 3B alloys and a damn hideous interior!

I knew id not be the only one to pick up on that steering wheel!

Not to sure what the sunroof problem would be, the paint shouldn't be a problem and could be touched up easily, and if he's fitted a new ac condensor and drier than he's done the expensive parts.
                    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

looks like a really tidy example. Wicked for the price! got factory RCL too.
                      Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                      03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                      01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

s2bug's car on piston heads looks well worth what he's asking, I don't really no the guy but I've seen the car and I'd have it if I had the money.

Comment

talking of autotrader...is it me or can you now not buy an RS2??...

and TBH..If I was buying again autotrader would be one of the last places I would look for a decent s2...pistonheads....here....and various other enthusiast's sites would be my first port of call...
                          IMHO.....

good luck...and

Comment

Hi guys tanks very much for all the info, this forum really is invaluable for New guys like me so thanks again for all the advice. I went to see it this morning, its really is quite tidy, took me for a spin and got no noises or mechanical issues by te soudns of things. Even stock s2s seem to pull themselves to 120 pretty quick. The owner an older guy really friendly whos put about 6000 miles in 6 years. So it really did attract me. HOwever after reading te odd comments and having to agree on the awful interior i think i`m gonna pass it up and keep looking. I dont wanna buy it to only start to loath the interior a few months down te line. Alloys dont do it justice either.

So thanks and keep an eye out for my new wanted thread on what it is i`m really looking for.

Comment

easy enough to sort the interior/wheels out

steering wheel £70 ish
                              gearnob £25 brand new vagparts
                              wheels £100 quid for aby one's i know of a set for sale.

if the actual cars good the small bits can be sorted.

Comment

Working...
                              X