steering rack gaitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering rack gaitor

Hi guys changed the steering rack gaitor today on the ABY, I must say it was a pig of a job as access is very limited. All you have to do is undo the two 17mm nylock nuts, then unscrew the bolts as they are threaded all the way through. Once this has been done turn the steering wheel anticlockwise until the gaitor can be removed. Insert the new gaitor with the widest end to the left. the steering can then be adjusted to re-fit the two bolts making sure they are tightened correctly, the nylock nuts are then tightened. Pull the gaitor to the left and secure in place with the clip provided using a pair of sidecutters to close the clamp. Be careful where you position the clamping piece as this can foul on the bracket when the steering is put on opposite lock. Once completed test movement left and right making sure gaitor stays in position. The parts required for the repair are as follows:

893422837A retaining ring x1 2.36 gbp
    861419845A Clip x1 0.85p
    811419831B Sleeve/Gaitor 7.01gbp

I hope this helps anyone who has to undertake this job. All the best steve.

glad you got it sorted, never managed to find the word doc i wrote so apologies I couldn't help but yeah, pig of a job alright. In hindsight, i reckon removing the IM would ease access and sight of what you are doing On the aby you have a tad more access than on a 3b as the battery try is in the way making it a total nightmare....
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I can imagine having to work on the 3B with the battery tray would be an absolute nightmare as it was bad enough with the ABY. No probs dave about the word document its nice to give everything a go as this is the best way to learn. The car supposedly failed the MOT for a split gaitor,but when removing it to replace there was no signs of wear. I think they were trying to pull a fast one on me! :mischeif:

Comment

thats how mine was found, though it was split at the far end. Had it just come away from the rack end or was it in perfect shape, if so I'd have complained!
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
        X