Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH i hate S2 sometimes!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH i hate S2 sometimes!!!!

I guess i should be used to the joys of owning an S2 by now, but my heater decided to start making a right racket tonight and then it seems to be struggling!!! I think i can safely say its on its way out! From a rating of 1-10, 10 being the hardest how hard is the heater motor to change and the resistor pack as it always stuck on 4!!! i looked at the previous threads but it dosent explain in depth about procedures. Also i have a problem with the speedo, i changed the sender on the gearbox but to no avail the speedo is still not working , i checked the dials for peeling but couldnt see any signs of deteriation! With a multimeter i should be able to check the voltage supply to the sender, does anyone know the voltage feed and the relevant pin connections to the dash cluster which send the signal to the dial????? Any help would be much appreciated guys as i starting to loose patience with the car, as its one thing after another.

On other cars I've had, mainly Golfs, when the heater starts squealing, a bit of WD has helped. Remove the pollen filter and see what you can see. If it's replacement time then good luck!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Cheers andy, i think! i hope it doesent come to a change, do you have to remove the whole dash if it is???? Any thought on the speedo????/

Comment

the resistor is easy enough to do. you remove the glovebox and its behind it, you'll see it using a torch, it got a multiplug on the top and is held in with a screw, undo the screw and pull the resistor pack out, remove the multiplug and attach it to the one and re-fit in reverse. hpoe that helps mate

Comment

thanks frazz, have you ever replaced the heater motor??? is it a dash removal????

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can get to the heater motor once the glove box is removed, the aircon one's are held in with 3 screws and the non aircon one's have a clip on the outer edge and turn anticlockwise if I remember correctly.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Looks like this, this is a non aircon waiting to be put back in my car. The tab has been snapped off but a couple of blobs of Sticksall will cure this.
              Attached Files

Comment

thanks mate i have air con so you reckon i have to remove the 3 screws?? can you buy the heater from euro part or gsf or is it from the stealers???

Comment

Yep if I remember correctly the aircon version is held in with three screws round the edge of the back plate for the motor, so in the photo the screw heads would be facing you. I have no idea of the best placed to get a new one, expect someone else could advise. I'd put up a wanted add for a second hand one as I don't expect it's going to be cheap new, or you could give audibits2 on eBay a try.

I think Baltiboy is breaking an Avant at the moment so you could try him.

Comment

This is a picture of the fan motor in an air-con car. The air-con fan motor is bigger. You can replace it without removing the dash, just the glovebox.

From what you describe, the motor has started to sieze due to lack of lubrication or worn brushes. As the motor slows if you're in speeds 1 to 3, it causes the resistor pack to overheat and the thermal fuse which is the silver thing on the resistor pack blows. Once it blows you can only get speed 4 (full speed) or nothing.

Check the thermal fuse for continuity. You can get a replacement from Maplins which will save you the cost of a resistor pack - which is also different between A/C and non A/C cars.

Once you've removed the motor housing, you will be able to remove the motor from the housing. You may be able to free it up with oil. If not you'll find the same Bosch motor in lots of cars in your local scrapyard.

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just found someting to do on the S2 this weekend!

It's been over a year since i got the car, which came with a similar problem mentioned, my fan will only run on speed four and is very noisy, but on rare occasions it is quieter. It has air con, and the last owner gave me a new resistor pack with the car, so hopefully all should be well if i change the pack and free up the motor. Really is about time i sorted this!! Thanks all for the advice you've posted above, much appreciated
                      1994 S2 Avant
                      1995 Audi Coupe 2.0
                      1998 A4 2.8 Quattro Avant

Comment

johne's reply

is on the money

The resistor pack is a doddle on the non a/c cars and is slightly harder to locate on a/c cars. Bank on taking down/out the glove box for both types of cars. You may be able to salvage your existing motor or make a good one out of a non a/c motor from any B4 in the breakers. Depending on how handy you are it shouldn't rally be be necessary to have to resort to a new one.

Can't comment on the speedo, but Jas11n or Jamo may be of assistance, keep the faith, they're great when they're working well, but given their age things will crop up, when it's a daily it's as well to have a spare B4/S2 or any make of a spare car so as there's effectively no break in service, any old 2.0E B4 would fit the bill nicely as the spare always on the key?

@ACT10N, it's only a small thing, but when you have four speeds on your fan again, you'll be re-invigorated with the car and pleased with yourself. Repeatedly BTDT with loads of different aspects of mine.

Kind regards to all.

Comment

David in Dublins Reply

Hi again David, i think your spot on there with getting small jobs done and making the car much more enjoyable,after delaying for a while i finally put on a new front set of tyres and instantly started to drive the car alot more, further on the list is radio antennae amplifier module replacement, intermittent rear wiper repair etc etc. This year i hope to gradually improve the condition of mine, which is near mint inside but has rough areas on the exterior. I second your opinion on the spare, and fully recomend the 2.0E as you mentioned as a powerful and efficient engine, and alot of the coupes now are real bargains. Looking forward to seeing how other member also gets on with fan repair. Regards
                          1994 S2 Avant
                          1995 Audi Coupe 2.0
                          1998 A4 2.8 Quattro Avant

Comment

blower resistor pack

From what you describe, the motor has started to sieze due to lack of lubrication or worn brushes. As the motor slows if you're in speeds 1 to 3, it causes the resistor pack to overheat and the thermal fuse which is the silver thing on the resistor pack blows. Once it blows you can only get speed 4 (full speed) or nothing.

Check the thermal fuse for continuity. You can get a replacement from Maplins which will save you the cost of a resistor pack - which is also different between A/C and non A/C cars.

John[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem but can't read any identifying number on the thermal fuse. I know it's a longshot but anyone know the Maplin code or description?

Thanks
                            Nigel

Comment

Working...
                            X