Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterpump / cooling?

Sorry to ask all theese q`s but i seem to have got me a faulty car

I was checking the car thrue today, trying to source the oil smoke fault when i saw that the water in the expansion tank wasent moving(with engine running) and this got me worried also, as this is normal that the water "flows" thru the tank isent it?
    Even when i tryed to let some air out, then nothing.
    The car goes up to 92-93`on idle and the fan turns in goes down to 90 and up again, but on the road it wont go higher then 85-87`.
    Question is, could this be water pump termostat or the additional water pump that is broken?
    Water pump was changed in june by the ex-owner, but could this be faulty again?

Sounds about right to me, temperatures are OK the water only flows when the system is hot and then it's a trickle. Bleeding the radiator through will mean that the coolant flows a little but until it's at full temp the coolant will not flow. To bleed the radiator more successfully unscrew the expansion tank and lift it above as high as you can. This will help a lot when bleeding the radiator.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

think it helps to have the heater set to hot position when emptying and refilling the coolant

u wont see any flow in the expansion bottle, other than a trickle moving through the small top overflow pipe when the cars at workin temp, which is the high 80's so yours sounds ok to me

Comment

So basicly, this is a normal behavior?

Comment

Really pleased to here this, thanx guys, just have to adjust from my cosworth as this works in another way.
          So it is normal even in the vinter that the fan goes on in a stop and go?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
            think it helps to have the heater set to hot position when emptying and refilling the coolant

u wont see any flow in the expansion bottle, other than a trickle moving through the small top overflow pipe when the cars at workin temp, which is the high 80's so yours sounds ok to me
            I know this
            But have to change the fluid as the former owner has used blue colant, and not orange as audi says.

Comment

Originally posted by AUDIS2avant View Post
              Really pleased to here this, thanx guys, just have to adjust from my cosworth as this works in another way.
              So it is normal even in the vinter that the fan goes on in a stop and go?
              i seem to recall that the thermostat doesnt start to open till about 87 degs, and is only full open just over 90 deg.

in heavy traffic the temp will creep upto 90 then the fan will cut in around mid 90's, (100 should be sorta ok so long as you have good mix of antifreeze/inhibitor), and its does on mine, although i must admit i havent had the dipleasure to be stuck in heavy traffic for a while so have yet to hear the fan yet in 2009

ps.. the inhibitor in the antifreeze inhibits rust in the engine and raises the boiling point of the coolant

Comment

Brian : thanx m8, really nice to hear, i can relax now then

Comment

Thats ok, always best to be carefull about coolant matters tho.

My mate used to run his S2 without antifreeze then he had probs with the head gasket. His stationarytemps were getting so high, 110 deg, that the high speed fan was cutting in and his afterrun coolant pump would run after the engine was switched off

Comment

Brian : DAMN. not goot then
                    I know how it is, have learned it from my cossie tuning time now
                    Will order some stuff from audi tomorrow, so all is nice again, thanx again

Comment

By the way ------ very important you dont mix two different types of antifreeze coolant, i.e. pink and blue, cos it turns to jelli in the rad and will cause problems. add the same to whats already in the car, or otherwise do a complete drain, flush through and complete refill. Systems about 8 litres in total, so i usually add about 4 litres of antifreeze then water and top up with 50/50 mix

Comment

The pink G12+ can be mixed with either G11 ( blue / green ) or G12

G12 and G11 cannot be mixed.

Comment

Brian and jamo: thanx, have bought 4 liter orange vw coolant today, will change it tomorrow, but WILL have to flush it as the former owner have mixed the coolant that is in it now, and lots of jelly as you said (there is my cooling problem )

Comment

Originally posted by AUDIS2avant View Post
                            Brian and jamo: thanx, have bought 4 liter orange vw coolant today, will change it tomorrow, but WILL have to flush it as the former owner have mixed the coolant that is in it now, and lots of jelly as you said (there is my cooling problem )
                            Ah man, that sucks I hope you dont have any blockages in the rads

Comment

Working...
                            X