Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Bikes

Hi Guys

I know there are a few Mountain bikers in here so I want to pick your brains.

I am after my first mountain bike and want to get something reasonable but not massively pricey. I am currently looking at a few around the £200 - £300 mark:

1) 2009 Giant Rainer Disc
    2) 2008 Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe
    3) 2009 Giant Talon 3

There are also the Mongoose and Diamond Back that I quite fancy, any ideas guys?

I want it for road and off road but a bit of fun so would like something that will last me a good year or so or the ability to upgrade it.

All ideas and advice gratefully recieved
    Last edited by rotoryboy; 12 June 2009, 19:15.
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

if you fancy a trip, then Evan's Cycles have a mahooosive warehouse sale on until 14th June.....might be worth a trip if your looking for something well spec'd and with discount?

Haven't touched my specialized mtb in months since i got a roadbike
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I saw that but I need to know what I am shopping for before I go otherwise I'll end up coming back with a discounted lemon
      Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

The thing with bikes is that all the manufacturers make different style frames, much better to get a frame that fits you and that you are comfortable on. With hard tail bikes, the geometry isn't as complex as with full suspension (with all manner of rear shock/arm setups). The spec is largely an aside really, best to find what fits you and then make a choice, gears wise most SRAM and Shimano products will take whatever the occasional rider has to throw at them, IME it's the shocks and brakes that seem to vary wildly in reliability and effectiveness.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You're right Andy, frame and fit is paramount. Not sure if you can get a fitting for a mtb but the £50 i spent on a fitting for my roadbike was the best money i spent. The Bianchi i bought is so comfortable it actually feels like an extension of me when i ride it and its not tiring to ride as a result.
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I can recommend the Kona. I have an ancient Cinder cone which has two sets of wheels, one for road use three quarter tubs and 110psi and the original supplied wheels with knobbly tyres.

Best bike I have ever had, a joy to ride on road or off, very flexible and lively frame, lots of feel. Stuff the suspension you don't need it.

However, I never rode the others.

Comment

I'd say you won't go far wrong with the Kona, they have a decent frame as a base and the equipment spec isn't too bad so upgrading is easy, probably find last years model at a discounted price, but only in certain sizes. I have an '09 Blast Deluxe and saved £100 off the list price just by asking....the bargains are out there you just have to haggle a little

Comment

Kona wins hands down, Diamond Back are pretty good to. The best thing to do is go and try the bikes out if you can then that will give you the best idea, i guess you looking for mostly comfort ATM. One thing i have always said to people is get disc brakes if you can that will make a huge difference

HTH

John

Comment

i always by an old model somebody wants shot of and i always think there is some awesome second hand examples people get them and never use them.

Comment

try phil corley in milton keynes......or evans...for that sort of price range go hardtail (no rear suspension)and don't be "shy" about buying a 2008 model's as you will get a higher spec'd bike for less money.....chainreactioncycles.com is a good place to buy but try at a local store before hand....try ebay....there are a few shops on there...merlin...whinstanleys....else pick up a copy of MBR (mountain bike rider)....

good luck...
                    Mike

Comment

I am a massive Kona feak... Love em! Had a few, got a few. Over priced for the groupset though. Best bet mate is to look at some of the hand made builds. You can find decent frames for £100. Merlin are a classic example, I have one also. You can get a decent groupset for not much aswell. Go for Shimano Deore shifters, mechs and Sprockets and look at Last years Hope discs, or Magura brakes. Look at tyhe Juliets as they are quite decent. Rims- Halo or Sunn Rims are good. Any questions or anything let me know and I will be happy to see if i can find an answer dude. Good Luck!

Comment

Just having a look at Diamond backs and found this for decent money

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pr...ntum_Bike_2007

Found a nice little Iron horse for similar money

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pr...uter_Bike_2009

Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

if your planning any off road "fun"...you will be better off getting a bike with front forks....

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b38s2p1887
                          Last edited by europeanme; 14 June 2009, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
                            if your planning any off road "fun"...you will be better off getting a bike with front forks....

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b38s2p1887

Cheers for that dude. I went down to Paul's cycles today to have a look and he was very helpfull. Had a chit chat and discussed the quality of DB, they are impressed and have sold a huge amount to ex BMXers, so that will be my weapon of choice

I will be ordering it this week and collecting it from Paul nr the weekend. Thanks for your help guys
                            Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

bit of a trek out to norfolk....but glad you got sorted....ask them for a try out and have a blast around thetford forest!!...

Comment

Working...
                              X