80 V6 Voyage of Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 V6 Voyage of Discovery

Had a first good peer under the bonnet tonight - mainly to see the severity of a little oil leak - which does appear like its going to need sorted... One of those horrible ones that causes an ugly oil slick under the engine. Pretty sure its an oil pressure sender on the left cylinder bank.

Anyway - couple of other oddballs identified. i think I posted before about this engine seeming a bit gutless at high revs... well this is not helped by some previous owner bodging some pipework so that the variable intake manifold no longer works - so you don't get the increased air intake designed to happen above 4000rpm.

Weirder than that - photos to come - the same bodger turned the airbox into swiss cheese and created a really effective hot air intake.

Talking of hot air intakes, the AAH engine has one designed into it - photos to come - it has a hot air duct on the EM - which draws in warm air until the engine heats up - a thermally controlled flap moves but its really quite restrictive looking. I tested it with a hot air gun to see it working - and it does - then wazzed it with freezer spray to bring it back to ambient. Great Saturday night entertainment - no beer or Ant & Dec required

I'll have to locate a decent airbox - would be easy to fabricate a cold air intake from a lower duct I thought... as this motor doesn't have oil cooler like S2... had look down there and there is actually a cold air duct already which provides nice cold air into rear of the alternator - very bizarre... Its a 120Amp alternator but thats overkill.
    Some judicious technology re-use is going to be applied soon.

I actually should G-Tech the thing as it is now - utterly stock and a wee bit neglected. Gunman fixed a few things in his ~4 months of ownership, but someone stopped caring properly for this old quattro long before that.

Its rather nice to be looking at a different engine - bit daunting on one hand - but interesting on the other.

I've already started harbouring silly thoughts about this car - and it involves an AHA engine - the 30V variant of the 2771cc format which runs on Bosch Motronic (no Shiitachi) and cooks up a few more bhp along the way. Thats a future project for sure - maybe its been done already - I've seen a few supercharged 2.8 12V motors on line - but I'd much prefer to stick a blower on the 30V - it would be awesome

Think I need more medication - and a lottery win though. I need some sleep...
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Paul,

Your thoughts are perfectly naturally for someone on here.

Changed the rear hubs on my 2.6 Cab tonight and and doing the front tomorrow morning - 4 x 108 to 5 x 112.

Would like a charger on mine, but already traction in the dry around town is an issue. Sorry forgot you have a quattro. Not jealous - much.

BTW how do you know the inlet track is not working after 4K ?

Does the ABC 2.6 have a similar system or is it just the 2.8 ?

Wanted to replicate the gradual dimming interior light on my 99 Cab into my 95 Avants ?

Picked up the interior "lock the doors" button from an old A6 in the brakers and want to install same into Cab ?

It's never ending.

Comment

always fun going through a car and learning what you've actually bought! Have fun with it, engine conversion wise, why not stick a bi turbo in there and have done :-D
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

@Dave - I knew the intake valve isn't working as nothing is connected to it... Further checks found some control hoses blanked off & missing. Had a look at the MPFI manual for your ABC engine and it doesn't have this feature - very strange... even though inlet manifold is almost identical.

Funny you should say about the central locking / light dimming thing - I was looking at schematic from a 1997 A4 to see what would be required to integrate the window closure/comfort feature - its a lot of wiring work and adding the lock/unlock buttons would complicate things further. Would be nice to have alright - i'd be happy to help out on seeing how to integrate this onto a B3 or B4.

The engine conversion idea is just dreamland at this stage.
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

First thing you should do is stick a decent exhaust on it my AAH sounded awesome on full throttle, there is a bolt on supercharger kit avaliable from the usa ive got the details somewhere its not cheep though.

Comment

I might be able to help out with the airbox paul, my mates got a few so i'll ask him

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
              Had a look at the MPFI manual for your ABC engine and it doesn't have this feature - very strange... even though inlet manifold is almost identical.

Funny you should say about the central locking / light dimming thing - I was looking at schematic from a 1997 A4 to see what would be required to integrate the window closure/comfort feature - its a lot of wiring work and adding the lock/unlock buttons would complicate things further. Would be nice to have alright - i'd be happy to help out on seeing how to integrate this onto a B3 or B4.
              ABC engine has odd plastic intake manifold, witch tends to brake and might send plastic pieces into the cylinders. before i got my car, 4 of the spoilers inside the manifold had already gone(trough the engine I presume), and two remaining pieces had clogged up the intake.
              I was told that, AAH intake manifold can not be fitted, because the idle stabilization valve is different and ABC engine does not have plumbing for variable manifold. I just got myself a one AAH intake manifold for 4 beers, so I'll try to find out how different they actually are. Getting the variable manifold moving later on should not be a big problem, I'll see that when I get so far.

A good way to install the central lock button is to source a rear door opener from car with electric window button, and install it to the driver's door with the lock button. Should look fairly OEM. It could be connected to the door lock position wire to open and close the doors, but the factory alarm should be disabled for that.

Comment

are we getting any pics?
                Audi Quattro WR

Comment

My 96 Cab has the total closure alright, think its OEM unless I'm missing the point - all 4 windows roll up upon locking the car, key or remote.

It does not dim the interior lights though (@David), and I've always wanted that so I'll have to look into it.

Comment

Just had a look at wiring - and sure enough the latest cabrios seem to have this feature... Do me a favour and tell us the part number of the following --->

1 - Relay block 5&6 above the drivers pedals
                    2 - Central locking pump - dunno if in cabrio boot or in rear 'door' trim behind drivers side - will be wrapped in foam.

Cheers,

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

Paul,

I agree supercharger is only for interest after the lotto, especially for me with only FWD. Main event is the S2.

An exhaust would be interesting, but it will be a lot of noise without much speed compared to an S2.

With regard to the inlet manifold, to me if it is not easy, what's the point, buy a 2.8 or change out the 2.6 for some bigger more modern Audi V6 engine. Sure someone has done it on other sites. But as mentioned IMHO, its power would be more useful in quattro format.

All of this shows how well suited and easy an S2 is to uprate with an Homefry and some front brakes. Pretty good in standard spec. once it is as good as it was when it left the factory, tight, fresh and no rattles.

Will have a look my relays under the dash in the next few days.

The wiring on a cabrio is interesting for the windows as it opens all four at the same time from the button infront of the roof button, where a diff button would be on an S2.

Just drove the ACE 2.0 16v Avant FWD tonight and quick / similar to the 2.6, but needs to be revved more and is as lazy and instant as the ABC 2.6.

Manual 2.0 and auto 2.6 each have their good points, but having owned a Mk 5 Golf GTi DSG, I'd really like DSG in my S2. DSG is the best of both worlds IMO.

A dimming interior light would be a nice touch for an S2 if is was easy, or if there was a small printed circuit board avabalbe rather than trying to integarate the later Cabrio wiring if it is too difficualt. I'm all for bolt on easy upgrates.

A4 back discs bolt on fine to convert 2.6 Cabrio to 5 x 112, and I used S2 front hubs for the front where on my 2.6 car the driveshafts match the S2 hubs, where I came a cropper was the fact that the S2 280mm discs are too thick for Cabs standard front brakes.

What I now intend to do, as it might be the quickest and cheapest, is have the existing 4 x 108 front discs drilled to 5 x 113 as they are quite new.

Haven't got a spare set of S2 front calipers and carriers, and couldn't find my RS2 brakets to mount up a spare set of RS2 front calipers and 314mm discs destined for the second Avant.

This ramble is sort of related to this thread.

Kind regards to all.
                      Last edited by macspring; 14 September 2013, 00:42.

Comment

Is there any update for this thead? I mean somebody made this dual path intake manifold changes from AAH to ABC? I hope yes, and I can ask few questions

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50955

Comment

I'm sure years ago a mate of mine fitted a timer to interior light on his t85 cq
                            I'll ask him if he can remember where he had it from

Comment

Working...
                            X