Electric Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Power Steering Pump

I have do do away with my power steering pump as I have an ABY installed in my UR Quattro.
    I am fitting an MR2 Electic pump in stead but wondered if anyone has also used an electric pump to also power the brakes instead of a 'bomb'

Thanks,

PETER

Originally posted by PeterFin View Post
    I have do do away with my power steering pump as I have an ABY installed in my UR Quattro.
    I am fitting an MR2 Electic pump in stead but wondered if anyone has also used an electric pump to also power the brakes instead of a 'bomb'

Thanks,

PETER
    The ABY pump has 2 pumps inside it. The first supplies fluid to the steering rack and also onto the second higher pressure pump which supplies the brakes. I think you'll find the electric MR2 pump can't supply the pressure you need for the brake system which is 140 bar!

John

Comment

Thanks John,

I can see what you mean and I will use the ABY pump. However, my car is a UR Quattro 1986 with the ABY and running the original braking system. From what you said abount the ABY pump I think that plumbing the pump in to the 'bomb' takeoffs should be fine, have you or anyone else done this or think it OK ?

PETER

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the Ur brake system so can't say yes or no.

John

Comment

It has been done, Javad has done it on motorgeek and Gnutz has done it on his Golf with an ABY engine

Comment

You are better to make a bracket to house the original ur pump that way everything fits and there is no further modification.
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
              You are better to make a bracket to house the original ur pump that way everything fits and there is no further modification.
              Do you mean use the original Bomb (everything missing as destroyed by Corey) and then use the original UR power steering pump (again everything missing)

As I am starting nearly from scratch I thought there may be an easier route.

PETER

Comment

due to the kindness of other members. (gazjen) he has got a spare pump and bomb he will donate for free if you want them.
                Audi Nut!!!

Comment

you could use a vacuum servo for the brakes and electric pump for the PAS and do away with the dual pump?
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That is very kind of him and yes I would love them. If he phones me on 07774 144234 I will arrange to send him some postage.

This I think allows me to finish the suspension/brakes.

I am running S2 hubs with S2 driveshafts. I have coil-overs (still have to source/make some upper spring perches to work with my pro-mounts. I have Porche 996 Calipers front with standard quattro on back. Both brake carriers are missing, but I think Audi have these in stock ?

I am missing all the linkages on the 6 speed and have just purchased the mounts. I already have a quickshift and the 'bar' that links the gearlever to the 'ball' in the gearbox (from a WR) but nothing else. Any ideas ?

With the power steering and brakes sorted (do you know the best place to reposition the 'bomb' ? Or should I wait until I have everything else attached to the engine.

I have an ally big radiator (and I propose to use an aftermarket fan) and in front of this will go a second intercooler (same size a original radiator, but thicker !)

I was hoping to run aircon so I thought use an S2 pump and make a condenser to fit somewhere behing the front grill. Have you any ideas ?

I really appreciate your help and will certainly arranging after Christmas to have you sort the electrics and probably attach pipes as well as there is nothing there at the moment !

Interior wise I have now found a green dash from Amanda (Corey has taken mine out and sold it !) and the seats have all been re-leathered.

PETER

Comment

I have the S2 pump on my ur. All you do is run a pipe back to the oil tank from the top outlet on the pump.
                      Rob..
                      94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                      87 UR 20v ABY
                      97 S6 Avant
                      96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                      1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

I have electric on my coupe. Toyota MR2 works great. Other than a high current relay to power it all you need is a custom hose to feed the rack which cost me $40 or so to have made. I bought the pump used from a toyota dealer for around $80.

I converted to a type85 (4000 quattro) steering rack and brake booster for my conversion. Not sure if you want to rely on the pump pressure for your brake assist as well, since I dont think the pressure is as high as the stock hydro-assist-brakes pump.
                        Marc Swanson
                        Proprietor, EFI Express
                        95.5 //S6 Avant
                        90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
                        93' //S4
                        83' UrQ
                        97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Is the type 85 rack a straight forward swap into the Type 89 shell?
                          The type 85s are supposed to have much better steering feel than our type 89 cars I wonder if the rack has anything to do with it? Did you notice any difference after the swap Mark?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Is the type 85 rack a straight forward swap into the Type 89 shell?
                            bolt in.

The type 85s are supposed to have much better steering feel than our type 89 cars I wonder if the rack has anything to do with it? Did you notice any difference after the swap Mark?
                            steering feel is great, brakes also fine, I've never had a problem with vacuum assist.
                            Marc Swanson
                            Proprietor, EFI Express
                            95.5 //S6 Avant
                            90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
                            93' //S4
                            83' UrQ
                            97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Originally posted by PeterFin View Post
                              pfff, some dust off this topic how's the project?

I was thinking of this for my S2, but since it's an ABY it would require a special pump due to the brakes

Comment

Working...
                              X