Anyone good at IT? I have a Virus :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good at IT? I have a Virus :(

My computer has a virus. when on internet explorer a page appears instead of the one you want to go to saying "WARNING VISITING THIS SITE MAY HARM YOUR COMPUTER!" it gives me 2 options continue unprotected or buy security software.

There is no url for the page or company logo, so its probably someone wanting my credit card details.

I've ran a virus check with Norton internet security and only finds a cookie that is no harm, and will not do anything with.

Anyone know where to look for this cookie or has an idea how to get rid of this virus?

(i've attached a screen shot of the offending blocked page)

Chris
    Attached Files
    2.3 10v Quattro project so far: Bought for £400, lowering springs.

maybe adaware or spybot?

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Recently cleaned a laptop of this, most common place to get it is facebook!

Spybot
      Spyware blaster
      AVG Free with browser integration.

Got rid of the lot but it will take a bit of shifting as it replicates into multiple places including system restore.

Comment

> My computer has a virus. when on internet explorer a page appears instead of the one you want to go to saying "WARNING VISITING THIS SITE MAY HARM YOUR COMPUTER!" it gives me 2 options continue unprotected or buy security software.

Don't FFS buy the software - it's worse than the virus.

Go to http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8e37c08e&hl=en and check out the FAQs and other posts. If you can't find the answer, post and either I will help or I'll "encourage" a Google employee to help - I'm a TC on that forum.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!!!! I think i've sorted it now, download a free version of AVG anti virus from compter active.

Fingers crossed it stays fixed!!

Chris
          2.3 10v Quattro project so far: Bought for £400, lowering springs.

Comment

never click yes is the best advice.

from a corporate prospective around 4 years ago we had lots of issues with this type of virus shall we say. its not technically a virus but....

i commissioned an upgrade of our AV to include pest patrol. We use CA ITM. that is AV and spyware/adware. no such issues since.

the worst of late was a small confiker.b outbreak. 5 machines infected out of our 250+. that badboy locked 10 accounts a second on the network. microsoft offered 250k to find the person who released it.

Comment

If you get really stuck "Hijack This" is a great too to finally clear out your system.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

if after lots of unpicking a rebuild is usually the best answer.

try to quantify expected time to fix against rebuild time.

Comment

Scanning with Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes Anti-malware from www.malwarebytes.org usually works good for removing most infections, you could also try an online-scan from F-secure or similar.
                  S2 sold.

Comment

LOL

working for a security company - all of these solutions are much of a muchness.
                    Often these problems continue to manifest themselves under different guises.
                    If you are feeling brave - jump into REGEDIT and shoe-horn anything that looks out of place.

If you are not brave - use some sort of Registry recovery freeware to take a snapshot for recovery purposes - at least that way you can make incremental changes -test for results and then proceed in a controlled way.

Comment

which can all take longer than a rebuild.

if one of my technicians spent longer than an hour or so trying to fix an issue id ask questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X