Front suspension Urq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension Urq

Well my Ur is needing some attention on the front end , when taking it apart I would like to replace as much as I can/afford at the time , as we all know the parts are crazy money with NLA everywhere , but I remember reading here a guy that adapted 80 suspension ie wishbones , track rod ends to the car but cant seem to find it , anybody know what I am talking about , looking for info on this

Cheers

Steve
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

I had full s2 running gear on mine, with your spares i'm sure you could do that easily, especially as you have the 3b engine in already.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Rider S4 View Post
      Well my Ur is needing some attention on the front end , when taking it apart I would like to replace as much as I can/afford at the time , as we all know the parts are crazy money with NLA everywhere , but I remember reading here a guy that adapted 80 suspension ie wishbones , track rod ends to the car but cant seem to find it , anybody know what I am talking about , looking for info on this

Cheers

Steve
      Ball joints are the tricky part... rest is doable from other models.

I used the following.
      Forged control arms with B4 ball joints, struts drilled out to 19mm. Or try to find RR ball joints.
      Stock sway bar mounts to the control arm same way as the stamped units.
      Only issue is the very early cars, time to upgrade.
      Tie rod assemblies from B4 with Golf Mk1 ends to match the struts.
      If you have a 10Vt the pass tie rod needs to be slightly bent although some have run the stock rods without bending and they clear wastegate just fine, all depends how far back your engine is sitting. 20v boys need not worry, all clears.
      Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs to boot. Pro Mounts up top.
      The only stock part is the strut itself..

Cheers
      www.quattro.ca
      B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
      B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Martian thank you, was just about go hunting for your post on motorgeek about the outer ball joints for my both my Ur and my 90 I've converted 100 front struts for

Comment

brilliant martin , thank you !, should have all that in my collection of spare parts , the B4 tie rods you mention , the same ones off the S2 20v will do , another thing have been looking at the rear tie rods and they look on there way out , are they the same on S2 3B ?..Oh my model is the RR

thanks again folks
          93 S2 Avant Parting
          91 URQ RR
          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Rider S4 View Post
            brilliant martin , thank you !, should have all that in my collection of spare parts , the B4 tie rods you mention , the same ones off the S2 20v will do , another thing have been looking at the rear tie rods and they look on there way out , are they the same on S2 3B ?..Oh my model is the RR

thanks again folks
            Thanks guys.

Yes, in fact B2, B3 and B4 front tie rods share the same length for the assembly, only the shape differs slightly, but with 20vt you can use any of the above, as there is nothing in the way.
            I have seen people use B3 rear tie rods on B2 cars (such as Ur-q) without issue, although looking at them I prefer the earlier design as far as the adjuster goes.
            The B2 rears are still available in my neck of the woods, same as RR.

Cheers
            www.quattro.ca
            B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
            B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Got an issue with this, bought pair of gold tie rod ends, all seems good except they are left hand threaded whereas the originals are right hand threaded

Comment

I got an ur quattro tie rod (cant remember what year though), and it was shorter than my 3b s2 one.

Custom auto craft do rear tie rods, butI think they may be the shorter ones.
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Having now got Mk1 golf ends from a different source I can confirm they work, will compare a type 89 rod built up against a Ur one this weekend

So dont get rod ends from ECPs brand Q-drive they dont seem very good as this 3rd set joints that have been wrong

Comment

Working...
                  X