No announcement yet.

Is RS2 spec OEM enough? Discuss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a couple of MK1 Golf GTi's and they can get good money if its stock or modified so it can be taken back to stock, so I understand what you say. But I think Golf MK1 is a much more classic car that much more people relate to, and that is one thing that makes a good price.

As you say, it depends what the owner wants

I like the s2 becuse it performes and still I manintain it so its in very good condition.. Only getting better and better

Comment

Mine only has:

Alloys
      Front Brakes
      Boost Gauge
      Plasa Gauges + a few more clear lights going on, because I HATE orange
      Dampers
      MRC map
      HIDs

I've come to the conclusion that if I can get it running happily and reliably again, and I can restore some of the bodywork/running gear, I'll be quite happy at that.

I guess part of that is because I have the bike, I'm not so worried about the being stupidly fast. Plus, and I know others disagree, but I think stock+remap is fast enough to have a bit of fun while still hanging on to your driving license.
      1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
      A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

I say it's his car so he should do what he wants to it, I think rs2 spec is harmless as its bolt on. Wheels and suspension etc cant hurt either! Only thing I would do is make sure i store the original parts for it so I could put it back to standard and sell the rs2 parts separately when I come to sell it. I'm a bu88er! I can't leave anything alone for long. And I never feel a car is mine until I've "made it my own"....
        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Great thread Andy and obviously started to see the opinion following our conversation the other day.
          Ok, the car Andy is referring to is mine. Recently confirmed by Audi Uk & Ag as the only Rhd S2 Sedan/Limo in the UK. I will be starting a thread on it shortly but in the mean time be assured that this car is being given the love it deserves, I have changed a few things but they are all 'bolt on' and everything that has been removed is going to be refurbished and preserved properly so it can be reverted to completely standard with all original out of the factory parts at any time. Even doing what I've done so far took a lot of consideration but my theory is I want it to look and drive the way I want it to without detracting too far from OEM and so far I'm happy! The debate over the RS2 conversion will never come to a conclusion but I'm genuinely surprised by the varied responses so far. For now I'm just going to smarten things up and enjoy driving it!
          A sneak pic of what's been done so far:
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344681076.299101.jpg
          Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Wow, thats a really special and uniqe car.. Can understand why you would keep it stock og OEM look

Pics?
            Last edited by henrylee; 11 August 2012, 11:51.

Comment

Congratulations on your 'find' and by the look of those alloys -you've got just the right judgement on how to modify/improve the beast...lookin' forward to your thread!

Comment

Is this the one that was found in Jersey??

Brake upgrade

Not sure on the alloys though... never been a lover of Balero's :mischeif:

But we need more Pictures...

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                  Is this the one that was found in Jersey??
                  Must be surely...

That was an ABY with 3b wheels iirc, RS2 the beast imo
                  Shane

Comment

wow, not even a rare car. a truely unique one.
                    The thread seems to ahve deviated slightly anyway as to whether Audi original spec was good enough, which of course by modern standards its not really. The original question was whether modifying it would devalue it and in this instance the answer is 100% yes.
                    If it was me (and of course its not!) I would keep the saloon bone stock, totally refresh it and have another car as a modded beast. Just my 2c
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Did VAG give you any more history on the car???

Was it a 1 Off - Hand Built & why was it done and why only one?????

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

It was the pre-production sign off car for all consequent RHD's and in that respect is one of one! It was shipped here for type approval but ended up in Jersey because of some strange law preventing it from being registered here.
                        Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

considering the car it is!! and the circumstances it was made.. i would leave it stock "exept" anything that had been proven over the years as to be a better solution. motor stock, wheels stock , body like new.. and keep it that way forever.. if any s2 justified being kept orinal and showroom conditon its this one. then store for ten years
                          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Originally posted by RustyNut View Post
                            Great thread Andy and obviously started to see the opinion following our conversation the other day.
                            Ok, the car Andy is referring to is mine. Recently confirmed by Audi Uk & Ag as the only Rhd S2 Sedan/Limo in the UK. I will be starting a thread on it shortly but in the mean time be assured that this car is being given the love it deserves, I have changed a few things but they are all 'bolt on' and everything that has been removed is going to be refurbished and preserved properly so it can be reverted to completely standard with all original out of the factory parts at any time. Even doing what I've done so far took a lot of consideration but my theory is I want it to look and drive the way I want it to without detracting too far from OEM and so far I'm happy! The debate over the RS2 conversion will never come to a conclusion but I'm genuinely surprised by the varied responses so far. For now I'm just going to smarten things up and enjoy driving it!
                            A sneak pic of what's been done so far:
                            [ATTACH]37608[/ATTACH]
                            At last! I saw James preping the calipers prior to painting them, very nice indeed
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                              What I want to know is what constitues a "rare S2"? A RHD S2 gomera pearl effect sedan/saloon is the only thing that comes to mind.

Photos please

Theres pics here.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47517

Comment

Originally posted by RustyNut View Post
                                It was the pre-production sign off car for all consequent RHD's and in that respect is one of one! It was shipped here for type approval but ended up in Jersey because of some strange law preventing it from being registered here.
                                Was it an easy deal to make? the previous owner seemed reluctant to sell it after the interest it generated on here?

Comment

Working...
                                X