• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Celica gt4 st185 info wanted

Been offered one and wondered if any members have experience of these cars
    Jap import 222bhp?
    Been off road a few years, going to look Saturday
    Was advertised before Xmas at £650 but not sold, thinking of buying to break or fixing up if worth some investment (or keep till prices go up maybe?)

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
    Been offered one and wondered if any members have experience of these cars
    Jap import 222bhp?
    Been off road a few years, going to look Saturday
    Was advertised before Xmas at £650 but not sold, thinking of buying to break or fixing up if worth some investment (or keep till prices go up maybe?)
    I had a Carlos Sainz Edition! Very nice cars but too heavy for their Bhp. Good handling.

No mechanical issues except very weak wheel studs. I broke 3-4 of them with my hands when installing wheels. :-D
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

All wheel drive. Central viscous coupler, Torsen rear differential. Epicyclical center differential.

Why i remember those cars were very expensive?

Comment

Thinking it may be good to squirrel away for retirement fund, don't see many around nowadays, all rusted away?lol

Comment

We've had two of these both the UK spec and Jap spec versions for about 7 or eight years.

The uk spec had better brakes than the imported versions, they were awful and even with good pads wouldnt properley pull the car up, i had a couple of pucker pants moments with it until i swapped to the uk spec front setup (same as a carina), rear brakes are identical to the 3.0 litre toyota camry which i iused the engine out of to put into mine but thats another story all together....
          Sunroof models suffer terribly from what toyota says" isnt a design flaw", that being the water drains go right inside the sills and rot the whole bottom of the car out like it did on our poor one- avoid or get properly inspected first.

Because the stock uk and jap spec motors have an air to air intercooler fitted on top of the engine (duh!) it gets terribly heat soaked and it kills the power from one second to the next, chargecooled CS and RC models get one fitted in the same place but being watercooled its immune to that heat soaking issue, chargecooler pumps can pack up on these.

Stock boost levels are around 7psi iirc but you can run at around 12 psi safely before any defeated fuel cut mods catch up with you in the form of cracked piston lands.
          The "map" sensor on these motors isnt used to run the ecu as such its primarily used to run the very naff boost gauge and tell the ecu when to fuel cut, so any mods such as bleed valves etc wont work unless that sensors disconnected which then kills the gauge too, but to be honest its a bit pants.

Good suspension upgrades are koni adjustables up front, eibach or apexi springs with KYB rear struts, polybushings and a whiteline adjustable rear antiroll bar- that makes quite a difference to handling and makes it even grippier.
          Never had any issues with wheelstuds shearing off on mine maybe they were overtightened on yours?

Ive still got the engine, gearbox, prop doors bonnet hatch all the wiring some of the interior and all the electrics off the one i stripped, now if only someone will clear my garage space for me i could finish the quattro off, it aint half cramped mum.

Comment

I ve seen pics of it now
            O/s been rubbed on a gatepost or something so needs body work
            Likely to be a breaker as parts seem to sell well on eBay

Comment

Make sure the clutch is not slipping, not an easy job to replace to say the least

Comment

You know the wheelstuds issue is probably right...I'm an 11 stone weakling but I snapped 2 of the studs first time I changed wheels on my mk 3 Hilux- a Hilux for Christ's sake- everything else on my truck is hard as f..fantastically hard things.

Comment

Originally posted by mackenzie50 View Post
                  You know the wheelstuds issue is probably right...I'm an 11 stone weakling but I snapped 2 of the studs first time I changed wheels on my mk 3 Hilux- a Hilux for Christ's sake- everything else on my truck is hard as f..fantastically hard things.
                  Sounds like you need to re calibrate your torque elbow
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Well went see it today, pile of rust disguised as a car!
                    Didn't dare start it, rust everywhere , idler pulley on belts was stuck to the belt
                    Rust over all underneath
                    Mint interior
                    So I passed n went down the road to a lead I ha on an Audi and bought that instead!
                    Pics to follow after I collect it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
                      So I passed n went down the road to a lead I ha on an Audi and bought that instead!
                      Priceless!

Comment

Picked it up today
                        79k from new
                        Mrs wants keep it, I want to sell it on along with my coupe so I can keep the s4

Comment

Working...
                        X