Worth buying a high mileage S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth buying a high mileage S2?

Not disrespecting the owner or owners of high mileage S2s, but from some who's never owned one (me), would you recommend buying a high mileage one if the price right? This one I'm looking at is clean (I believe) and had a lot of service work done to it, but it's on 200k miles.

What's your perspective on this? What mileage you guys on?

miles is irrespective if its been looked after
    NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

personally i look for forum owned cars , you are missing a great coupe thats for sale right now though and CHEAP
      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Mileage means nothing, condition is everything. I would rather have a high mileage car that has had regular servicing, than a low mileage car that only gets serviced based on mileage.
        I tend to avoid low mileage cars, based on experience.
        SS

Comment

Agreed, my 97k miles avant was very poor compared to my loved 155k miles coupe.
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I know it's not an s2 but my T4 is a prime example of this, 211K but looked after properly from day one.

Condition over millage every time
            sigpic
            "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
            BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
            1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
            2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

I agree wiht al above. Mileage is irrelevant. Buy only on condition
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

when I bought my s2 coupe on here about 1 1/2 years ago it was £1750 and I was not expecting it to be a nice drive or condition for a high mileage car.but i was totally shocked Have you test drive the car yet have a look on s2 central tells you what to look for

Comment

Totally agree with the above your basis of looking at a high mileage S2 has to be relevant on condition, service file and whether its been cherished by its owner! I've had mine for 13 years and whenever something needs doing it always gets done and mine is in pretty good nic which am sure some members on here will agree!!

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                    Totally agree with the above your basis of looking at a high mileage S2 has to be relevant on condition, service file and whether its been cherished by its owner! I've had mine for 13 years and whenever something needs doing it always gets done and mine is in pretty good nic which am sure some members on here will agree!!
                    The one I'm looking at has had a lot of recent service work done, sounds healthy and looks clean... Looking at it tomorrow so

Comment

Originally posted by TommyMardon View Post
                      The one I'm looking at has had a lot of recent service work done, sounds healthy and looks clean... Looking at it tomorrow so
                      Good luck mate oh and remember the Coupe's are always the best!!lol

Comment

Avants all the way
                        Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

Originally posted by poor-boy View Post
                          Avants all the way
                          Shush, they're both nice

Btw the mileage I'm talking is 200k but has all it's service bits done around 500 and some more miles ago (cambelt, altenator belt, New fuel lines, New Sach clutch ,New tie rod bushes, 4 wheel alignment, 4 new Toyo Proxy tyres, Stainless steel exhaust fitted by PTR exhausts (F1 welding company), 4 new top mounts ,New oil seal on rear diff, New rear diff mount, New oil seal ring for gearbox

Comment

That recent work sounds very promising indeed. If the engine runs well, it could well be a winner. Make sure to have a good look underneath for rusted subframes and stuff like that but it sounds like a lot of standard wear and tear items have been sorted. Just make sure they have been sorted properly ha ha. Good luck with it all.

Find out why they are selling it. The only thing that would ring alarm bells is why someone is getting shot after spending so much on it. Check to make sure it isn't using water as maybe the head is on the way out. That is just the cynic in me. Some people do suddenly need to sell things for all manner of suitable reasons. It should be fairly obvious when you ask if they are shifty or not.

Comment

Compression test and receipt for a headgasket would be a nice thing to do / have on a 200k car but other than that, if it' sbeen running stock power for all that time, you're be fine.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X