S2 loves the cold but mind the slick roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 loves the cold but mind the slick roads

Quick post on some fun I had the last couple of days. The weather has been great, no rain, no wind and the sort of temp my S2 seems to thrive on. Life has been a bit stop/start recently as my mum has been very ill for some time now and ironically as she winds down towards the inevitable in our excellent local hospice, it has freed up some time for me to have some time to myself rather than caring for her.

Racked up over 100miles driving nowhere in particular along the A4260 towards Kidlington, then off towards Long Hanborough and enjoying some back roads before doubling back towards Deddington, Clifton, Aynho and Adderbury. Headed towards Banbury and out along the A422 towards Stratford (I call it Boost Road) and then towards Welford On Avon along the back roads that I know well from playing golf out there. Took in some less well known roads that were good fun for scenery but did have a slight moment round a corner with a cold, slick surface. Fortunately nothing coming the other way as I couldn't avoid using a bit (most) of the other side of the road but it beat a heavy dose of understeer into a hedge.

Didn't have a change of pants, so headed home in a less spirited fashion before tucking the car up in the garage. Scary but I needed to blow out the cobwebs.

I think that is the end of fun for 2013. Take it steady on the roads guys so we can all enjoy 2014.

First let me say I'm sorry to hear about your mom, the cycle of life can be a bitter pill to swallow sometimes.

Secondly, you have hit the nail on the head as to what these cars are all about.
    You go for a drive for no other reason than to drive, it becomes a special occasion
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

You're bang on. Some 2yrs later the smile isn't any less broad when I drive the car. The joy of driving it is relentless.

Thanks for your kind comment as well. It is a bitter pill but tastes a little better when I think of all the things she has done for me. Most of us wouldn't be half the people we are without our mothers.

Comment

To true here's to the moms

I was dispatched on a domestic mission to get some gravy this afternoon and with the roads dry, the sun out and the s2 just washed and fully functional (apart from the occasional suspension knock, see thread) the van had to stay firmly on the drive

Needless to say I took the long way
        sigpic
        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Ha ha, I was reading your post on the intermittent knocking. Hope you get your springs sorted.

The long way home is often the fun way. Detours are welcome in our cars.

Comment

Working...
          X