Hypothetically Car, Bodykit & Money Owed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetically Car, Bodykit & Money Owed

A hypothetical question and advice in return please.......

If someone had a car and they had paid a good deal of cash up front, supplied the car, the bodykit etc and then one day found out that the garage had shut AND everything was contained within, what would they do in this situation???

This would also be on the basis that they had a written quote from the garage and also had signed paperwork confirming that the garage had received the money.

Of course there would be no point in phoning the police as it would be a civil matter.
    Steve

1990 RR 20V
    1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

It would possibly depend on the trading status of the garage. If it is a Ltd Company, I guess any claims would be included in a list of creditors owed money by the garage. If the vehicle is physically available and still exists, I would be busting a gut to get my hands on it. If proof of purchase is in possession, I would think it would be easy enough to transfer ownership via the necessary form from the Post Office.

If the garage in question is a sole trader, I think you have to actively pursue the individual who has taken your money and not handed over car and keys.

If the person is proving to be a little elusive, I doubt the police would help much although I see the situation as theft. You could try phoning them, tell them the situation and that you are on your way to the lockup with a gun and crowbar and see how quickly they respond ha ha (ovvo that is a joke but no doubt it would get their attention)

Sounds like a right ballache. Good luck with it and try not to hand over anything other than a small deposit to anyone without having possession of what you have paid for. Trust nobody and expect the worst.

Comment

Sounds like a very nasty situation.

I think I would at least notify the police and see what they say and try and find out where the car now is to start with.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
        Sounds like a very nasty situation.

I think I would at least notify the police and see what they say and try and find out where the car now is to start with.
        The police were phoned and were a complete waste of time.

He's a sole trader.

I know where the car is, but the doors are locked.

Think I need to get some insurance on it!
        Steve

1990 RR 20V
        1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Corey owed me money for a manifold when quattronics was going. Never got the cash but i did get some stainless tube and stuff
          Chef

Comment

Insuring it sounds like a good idea, especially as you know it's in one piece as well as where it is. I'd be trying to get access to the car ASAP, if it's stored somewhere that's rented try the landlord.

Beyond that if police won't help even if you report the matter as theft I'd risk taking the rap for breaking and entering, pay for any damage done gaining access and remove it myself. I'm not suggesting you do that and it's probably bad advice but if all official channels failed I'd take matters into my own hands before the car vanishes.

Comment

car/money owed

first thing id do is get a lock smith down there n open up the garage or where ever the car is forget going down the police/civil/court rd ur wasting ur time n money u need to take it in ur own hands iv done it loadsa times before just do it & get car bck in ur posession & worry about the rest after

Comment

Originally posted by quattro turbo 550bhp View Post
                first thing id do is get a lock smith down there n open up the garage or where ever the car is forget going down the police/civil/court rd ur wasting ur time n money u need to take it in ur own hands iv done it loadsa times before just do it & get car bck in ur posession & worry about the rest after
                Yeah, that's a better approach as you don't have to damage anything getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                  I'd risk taking the rap for breaking and entering, pay for any damage done gaining access and remove it myself. I'm not suggesting you do that and it's probably bad advice but if all official channels failed I'd take matters into my own hands before the car vanishes.
                  I have to say this is what I would do
                  Best chance of success in this day & age
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Bring a couple of boys down with you everyone has contacts that love sorting this kind of thing out make sure your tooled up. I got conned in Bolton buying a BMW 325 Sport on a G plate many years ago bloody lovely car guy I was a little suspicious about paid a ÂŁ500 deposit and fu^kwit had vanished and it was a reasonable size garage I think no matter what paperwork you have if someone is a con artist they always find a way its all about making sure it doesn't happen to YOU and then sorting them out latter

Comment

I'll be calling round on Monday. Let's just call this reconnaissance.

I really can't see this ending well.
                      Steve

1990 RR 20V
                      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Have you established why the place is shut yet? Accident, illness or Coreyism?

Comment

Originally posted by Jenks View Post
                          Have you established why the place is shut yet? Accident, illness or Coreyism?
                          A very valid point. The nephew of one of the guys that worked there has a car locked inside as well. I spoke to him today and he said that he had just locked the place up and that was that.

He also said that his Uncle had got a new job which makes me think that this might have been coming for a while, but yet his tools are all inside!

I know my colleague has left the owner a message today saying that I am after him and I know that I should wait to find out WTF this is all about. However for me, the talking is over. I'm done. 12 months of having my car and constantly pissing me about....no more.
                          Steve

1990 RR 20V
                          1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
                              Excelent suggestion Alex,

i aggree, go and bum his missus

also, locksmith idea and some muscle while he is at work is the best idea and take EVERYTHING you need to take everything away

i.e car, bodykit etc

and tools lying about to recoup the money paid up front for work
                              1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                              1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                              BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Working...
                              X