Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sill Covers A6/S6 C4

Hello,

My car has what I can only presume are sill covers on the sides, they appear to be black plastic covers that are sort of rough finished presumably as protection from stones etc.

Does anyone know if these come off and can be replaced? Are they one section?

On one side mine has a small split in it and am thinking it needs replacing, but don't know if it is a case of taking it off and renewing or if there is more to it than that?!

Cheers
    Richard
    Audi S6

Hi Richard, good questionHave never done this so am interested in this myself.Do you have a source to turn to for replacement?
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post
      Hi Richard, good questionHave never done this so am interested in this myself.Do you have a source to turn to for replacement?
      Audi UK
      Audi S6

Comment

Originally posted by Duffelcoat View Post
        Audi UK
        Like getting married with a shot gun held to your head.No choice.

I bought all the door and wing bottom trims for mine from audi,about £175.00 from memory.

Post up the price when you know.Cheers
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Audi UK
          The good news it will be perfect and i like perfection so you could say

"Vorsh Sprung Dirch Technik"
          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post
            Like getting married with a shot gun held to your head.No choice.

I bought all the door and wing bottom trims for mine from audi,about £175.00 from memory.

Post up the price when you know.Cheers
            That sounds like one of their better deals!

If someone knows if the sill cover is one piece removal I will approach Audi
            Audi S6

Comment

That sounds like one of their better deals!

If someone knows if the sill cover is one piece removal I will approach Audi
              Put your crash helmet on before you go through the door that Sqeeks,and watch out for them Stuka dive bombers. They will pin you to the floor in a wink of an eye and the storm troopers will relieve you of your wallet
              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

C4 sill plates

Hello, My car has what I can only presume are sill covers on the sides, they appear to be black plastic covers that are sort of rough finished presumably as protection from stones etc. Does anyone know if these come off and can be replaced? Are they one section? On one side mine has a small split in it and am thinking it needs replacing, but don't know if it is a case of taking it off and renewing or if there is more to it than that?! Cheers Richard
                Richard: The "sill" is the quasi-horizontal bit of the body that is outside the interior and is covered with the door when the door is shut. On the C4s, these sills are covered with a one piece (per side) black plastic foil that is double-sided taped to the body. Removal is possible using a hairdrier to soften the glue and a plastic scraper (so the paint doesn't get damaged) AND an extreme amount of patience to not go too fast and rip the relatively thin plastic foil.

Under the door, when it is shut, there is a rocker panel. The C4 rocker panels have some kind of textured undercoat/paint which was painted black from the factory. Except for a small piece of plastic just ahead of the rear wheel well, it is all paint, not a replaceable part.

As for the sills, I got this info from Sebastian Funk at Audi Tradition:

To: "David Forgie" <forgied@shaw.ca>
                Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 12:52:57 AM
                Subject: AW: Question about C4 1991-1997 door sill plates 4A0853491 and 492.

Hello David,

4A0853491/492 01C will be available in mid of January!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sebastian Funk
                Audi Tradition Ersatzteilwesen / Accessoires Neckarsulm

AUDI AG
                N/GP-T3
                D-74172 Neckarsulm
                Mobil (BIK): +49-7132-31-741118
                Fax: +49-7132-31-84741118
                sebastian.funk@audi.de
                www.audi.com
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  Richard: The "sill" is the quasi-horizontal bit of the body that is outside the interior and is covered with the door when the door is shut. On the C4s, these sills are covered with a one piece (per side) black plastic foil that is double-sided taped to the body. Removal is possible using a hairdrier to soften the glue and a plastic scraper (so the paint doesn't get damaged) AND an extreme amount of patience to not go too fast and rip the relatively thin plastic foil.

Under the door, when it is shut, there is a rocker panel. The C4 rocker panels have some kind of textured undercoat/paint which was painted black from the factory. Except for a small piece of plastic just ahead of the rear wheel well, it is all paint, not a replaceable part.

As for the sills, I got this info from Sebastian Funk at Audi Tradition:

To: "David Forgie" <forgied@shaw.ca>
                  Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 12:52:57 AM
                  Subject: AW: Question about C4 1991-1997 door sill plates 4A0853491 and 492.

Hello David,

4A0853491/492 01C will be available in mid of January!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sebastian Funk
                  Audi Tradition Ersatzteilwesen / Accessoires Neckarsulm

AUDI AG
                  N/GP-T3
                  D-74172 Neckarsulm
                  Mobil (BIK): +49-7132-31-741118
                  Fax: +49-7132-31-84741118
                  sebastian.funk@audi.de
                  www.audi.com
                  Hi

Thanks once again, sounds like the bit I am talking about is the painted section, and the split appears to be ahead of the rear wheel, so it might just be the plastic bit coming away,

I will check with the bodyshop as the car is there currently and see what he says, but sounds to me like the plastic bit might just need sticking down and tyding up!

Which would be good news and keep me out of the Audi 'Show (off) room'!

Audi S6

Comment

Hi Thanks once again, sounds like the bit I am talking about is the painted section, and the split appears to be ahead of the rear wheel, so it might just be the plastic bit coming away, I will check with the bodyshop as the car is there currently and see what he says, but sounds to me like the plastic bit might just need sticking down and tyding up!
                    I think you are talking about the plastic stone guards shown in the diagram below. They are attached to the body by two or three integral plastic "Christmas trees" and one additional loose "Christmas tree". They are attached to the body before that textured rocker panel rubber stuff is applied.

I had the left rear one come loose on my 93 C4 S4 and a I bought a replacement one. However, it was difficult to remove the original one so I just (somehow?) pushed it back into place. I can't remember if I sealed the leading edge to the rubber stuff again or not but that would be a good idea (to keep road salt water out of the area behind the stone guard)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                    X