Dash Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Cams

After watching the recent programme on TV about these and always been a avid watcher of Russian car cam footage I thought I would ask a few people on here.

I know a few people on Jack's thread have posted about them so thought it best open a new thread rather than clutter his.
    Thinking of getting one of these myself so who's got one and can anyone recommend a decent one that doesn't cost the earth !

It seems like a sensible option in the long run, especially with these 'cash for crash' scammers that are currently operating :corey:
    For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Sport DV £35 eBay use it on the bike and in the car fir the money its ace
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...ortdv&_sacat=0
    Last edited by Rikki Kitto; 15 February 2015, 18:57.

Comment

I was looking at gopros online thinking they were about £350 but the gopro hero is about £95 which surprised me. Are they worth the extra cost though?

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
        Sport DV £35 eBay use it on the bike and in the car fir the money its ace
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...ortdv&_sacat=0
        Can you show us any footage taken from it to get an idea of the quality if returns? Nothing incriminating of course

Comment

these are great mini 803
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U
          ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

I don't drive like a loon but one of these things would stop me having any "fun" in the car in fear of Mr plod reviewing my actions...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Can they legally seize the camera/memory card?

Comment

I would of thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                  I don't drive like a loon but one of these things would stop me having any "fun" in the car in fear of Mr plod reviewing my actions...

You can always switch it off if the urge for WOT overcomes you
                  For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Maybe connected it to a boost switch. ..

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
                      Can you show us any footage taken from it to get an idea of the quality if returns? Nothing incriminating of course
                      I use this cam at work as a motorcycle instructor and we have used footage in court cases, they are great makes me wonder why some cost so much.

The downside is battery life and no playback screen but you learn to use what you've got right

Comment

Agree with "vonbeck". Very small, good picture quality and decent price. I believe around $120 on aliexpress.

Sent via Crapatalk
                        UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

Yes I paid about £65 there's a cheaper version without Gps very good for the money

Sent from my iPhone 5
                          using Tapatalk
                          ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinkware-F.../dp/B01IUNP8S2

Just bought one of these any got one fitted? what you think of it

Comment

When I looked at dash cams a year or two ago, the Thinkware and the BlackVue always did very well in reviews and I ended up with the BlackVue DR750S 2CH + Power Magic Pro which kills the power when the battery drops below a chosen threshold.

I am very happy with the BlackVue cams - great quality, WiFi, parking mode (1 frame a second storage but since it is recording at 25fps and then dropping frames, it stores 25fps if it detects a bump etc.). Both cams are fairly small and do not have screens as you can connect using your phone if you want to review anything, so not point wasting money on screens that would never be the quality of the latest smart phones and make the cams bigger.

I then added a small solar panel which sits on the rear parcel shelf and that will keep the battery above the cut off point of the Magic Pro all day with both cameras on.

The only thing I have yet to resolve is how to get the camera to power up in the morning when the sun hits the solar panel and the battery voltage rises above the Magic Pro cut off level. Unfortunately, the Magic Pro is a sort of one way valve in terms of battery voltage as it kills the power when the volts drop but does not restore power when the volts rise again. It has a permanent and switched input to it and only restores power to the cams when it receives switched 12V (i.e. ignition turned on). I therefore need to make up a little power monitor box to sit in between the car and Magic Pro to send a 12V signal to the Magic Pro on the switched line when my box measures the battery rise above a certain voltage, say 0.2V above the Magic Pro kill voltage.

Cheers n (Beers emoji here)
                              Si
                              95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                              Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                              With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Working...
                              X