Shell V power nitro, con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell V power nitro, con

Anyone heard rumors that V power isn't the octane rating it says it is Mechanic I chat to recently told me it is 95 with addatives. Hope not or that is bad news

Probably is 95 with additives to bring it up to 98, nothing wrong with that.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Shouldn't it say that on the pump then, or is the octane rating a flexible figure that they can reach however they want

Comment

It's not flexible, it must meet what they claim it will. Tesco's 99ron fuel is normal 95 with extra Ethanol added, or at least it used to be.
        sigpic

Comment

In the Netherlands Shell V-Power has octane number of 97.
          It's overpriced compared to budget tanking stations Euro98 anyway.

And the octane rating is the fuel's resistance to self ignition due to pressure and temperature if I'm not mistaken. So it's not so much about the exact chemical composition.
          5 cilinder addict:
          1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
          1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
          2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Comment

All fuel have additives added to get the octane rating were the need it. Nothing new here.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Comment

Who's using Tesco then at 99, my car isn't happy with normal fuel so I've always used V power anyhoo just felt a bit ripped off when he told me

Comment

I've used Tesco 99 stuff in the past...can't really tell much of a difference between it and the Shell stuff TBH other than the price

Comment

Generally Tesco 99 for me in both 7A and ABY.

Comment

Yep, ..... you can't beat some of that high testosterone fuel! Does it for me.
                    Nothing but V power, tried the Tesco 99 on the tour recently seemed the same.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Octane rating is something relevant. In earlier day fuel octane rating of lets say 95 would behave in a prototype engine as a chemical pure solution of 95 octanes. That means that the fuel can be benzine with 90 octane ration and added ethanol (I think in the EU till 5% they are not obliged to mention it) to rise the anti detonation properties of the fuel bring it to the knock resistance of 95 octane pure fuel.

Don t know if what I write makes sense to you but that's the story.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I use both, can't tell any difference. V Power is officially 98RON, Tesco is 99RON so it 'should' be better. Not sure what other additive Shell throw in there though.
                        sigpic

Comment

The biggest difference I believe is how fresh the fuel is - apparently the additives will degrade fairly quickly so the fuel is better when fresh, not after 3 weeks in the forecourt tank.
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                            Who's using Tesco then at 99, my car isn't happy with normal fuel so I've always used V power anyhoo just felt a bit ripped off when he told me
                            If you've got the feels over this, you're doing it wrong

This process starts at the refinery. The base product has an initial octane rating and additives are blended in to get the fuel to meet market requirements. There are often further additions made at point of sale, such as ethanol. At least Shell fuels have no ethanol so you get a consistent blend.
                            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                            X