Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken drivers door lock - Audi 100 C4

Hello,

Last week the lock cylinder on the drivers door broke. Is there any complete lock cylinder kit for all doors + ignition so that I don't need separate keys for different locks? (I have already changed the ignition lock once and I'd like to avoid having three different keys for one car )

BR,
    André

Get a set from another car. That's what I did when my ignition lock broke. I got all locks and key's from a broken car and swapped them in.

Comment

You can retumble the lock barrels to fit your original key. Pretty easy to do just fine consuming. Have a search on the forum, and Google, 80s90s vag stuff is virtually identical. Need to do my driver's door one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

This?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

That is a lock yes....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
            That is a lock yes....
            I wanted the OP Jeltsin1 to reply because there are other things that can break in the lock cylinder area and prevent the door from being opened.

For example, Item 13 is the door lock cylinder but the problem could potentially be items 11 or 4 and not 13.

http://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+100.../8/837-837000/

Comment

Agreed, but the cylinder shown in the photo is what can be 're-tumbled'.

No need to change all of the locks, get an a few old ones from the same vintage VAG cars in a breakers yard and you will then have enough 'tumblers'.

When you take the tumblers out of the barrel you will see each brass 'plate' is numbered accordingly to their 'sizes'. You shouldn't need a digital callipers to measure them.

While it is a fiddly job it is very satisfying changing the locks and still only having the one key.

These comments relate to the older B4 flat style key, but maybe the later C4 'routed' keys with the straight edges and their barrels are the same ?

Comment

Rekeying C4 door locks

Rekeying C4 door locks is easy but requires disassembly of the door, including removal of thewindow cassette (not that difficult but still kind of a pain).

http://12v.org/urs/RemovingTheDriver...eDoorGlass.pdf

Once you have the back of the door lock visible, you can remove everything quite easily. Item 21 is a slick piece of engineering. It is basically a levered cam lock that locks the lock cylinder end of the door handle to the door. Item 23 locks the other end to the door via Item 8.

This post has a decent explanation of how to rekey your door lock cylinder with photos (very easy, just needs patience): http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3496179

Last edited by UrS4boy; 17 March 2016, 01:35.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
                  This?
                  Yes, it's item no. 13 that is broken. Is it possible to re-tumble the ignition cylinder also? Or only the door lock cylinders? Because I've found a set of locks from a junk yard (both doors and trunk) for ~25£. And in that case I'd only have to re-tumble the ignition lock...

Or perhaps I should wait until I find a set that includes the ignition cylinder as well...

Comment

Anatomy of a damaged C4 ignition lock/steering wheel lock assembly:

Removing the C4 ignition lock is not a fun job. Involves drilling a hole in the steering column in situ in order to press in a spring that holds the lock cylinder into the column. Can be done but not fun.

I would just do the door lock cylinder.

Here is info about the C4 ignition lock cylinder that you would need.

Anatomy of a damaged ignition lock/steering wheel lock assembly:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/322624.phtml

Last edited by UrS4boy; 24 March 2016, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                      This?

Note the grooved ridge around lock, this is meant to brake while someone is tempering with it. I learnt it the hard way, the drivers side lock was busted and decided to split from the joint. Apparently someone had some sick interest in the old C4 banger. Missus managed to get home with no apparent damages besides the lock itself, pretty ingenius solution from audi actually. Upon closer inspection it was apparent that the falure is designed into it, it's the small details that still amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                        Note the grooved ridge around lock, this is meant to brake while someone is tempering with it. I learnt it the hard way, the drivers side lock was busted and decided to split from the joint. Apparently someone had some sick interest in the old C4 banger. Missus managed to get home with no apparent damages besides the lock itself, pretty ingenius solution from audi actually. Upon closer inspection it was apparent that the failure is designed into it, it's the small details that still amaze me.
                        Like wise the ignition lock and the steering wheel lock:

Anatomy of a damaged ignition lock/steering wheel lock assembly:
                        http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/322624.phtml

Comment

I think if you are able to learn the anatomy of a lock easily and can work on it then you can be a locksmith easily for sure.

Comment

Yes, absolutely once you learn all the things about the lock and it will be easy for you to do repair. Locksmith are capable of handling all locks and keys this is the reason contacting them to repair the broken door lock is important.

Comment

I know a firm named columbus locksmith which has certified experts who can deal with any lock as they are highly trained and knows all the lock mechanisms. If anyone has queries, contact them for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X