Track tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track tires

Any suggestions for road legal track tires for RS2 guys?
    Cheers
    Don
    ---------------------
    Everything in perfect working order

Not specific for the rs2 but i rated a set of V70a's. They wear well and grip. Think the weapon of choice is the 888 but since i toasted my bottom end through oil starvation due to the grip these tyres provide, i havent looked into it again in a few years
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Federal 595 RSRs are the best bang for buck I have tried
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i use the Bridgestone potenza RE070 Good tire!

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re070
        1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

I've just put Federal 595 RSRs on mine and they are very good for the money. They offer so much grip I need to adjust the roll bars and suspension settings to compensate for the additional front end bite.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

595 RSR are a phenomenal all-round tyre and my general go-to for track fun that can also be used comfortably and safely on the road in all conditions.

NS2R are also a brilliant option, i don't think they're quite so good on the road as the 595 RSR, but have very different heat-cycles which are arguably better suited for track, so i tend to go for whichever is cheapest if they're exclusively for track as a solid all-round bang-for-buck option.

AD08R are my go-to when i can occasionally get them at a decent price as they're better than both of the above on track in terms of heat, but just as durable. They're better on the road for dry grip, but worse for wet.

Then you go up a level to things like the new R888, FZ201 or AR-1 which are all great options but far more track-orientated so not as good for daily driving, durability is about the same, but peak dry grip better however are more expensive... or you got for the new R888R, or the DZ03G which are the ultimate but more than twice the price of the 595 RSR or NS2R, and no more durable but much better peak dry grip.

One other thing i would say is don't be tempted by people telling you that Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS), PS4 or PS4S (above 18" only currently) are track tyres... they're absolutely not! They are superb performance road tyres for sure, but will turn to toffee on track, overheating spectacularly providing massive understeer and wear in equal measures very quickly when put under sustained heavy load braking and cornering.
            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

i did use a set of hankook rs3 on my mk 4 gti they were very good and not very pricy

Comment

Thanks guys for your advice. For road driving I am using Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 225/45 R17. For track tyres wondering if 215 would be better than 225 for fit?
                Cheers
                Don
                ---------------------
                Everything in perfect working order

Comment

The wider the better.
                  S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Kumho KU36
                    Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

As per Sonique's post, lots of options.

I'd get AD08R for combined use or go RSR or R888 for pure track. On a 7J rim, 215 or 225 are within many manufacturers' recommended specs.

I use A048R as I get them off a guy who races a Clio Cup series secondhand.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

While not directly related to the op's question / car, as my daily car is a UrS6, but as per Sonic's comment the wider the better.

255/35/18 are much better than 225/40/18 even on 8 x 18 rims. Back to back experience on the same car, rims brand of tyres and same corner , only difference being the size of the tyres.

Also found my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx were really great, but when worn I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Cost was a bit dearer, both are much dearer than other brands. But I want to avoid any incidents of regret due to a 'lesser' tyre.

My driveway is gravel and now the gravel sticks to the bottom contact patch of the Michelins as I drive out of the drive in hot weather, didn't happen with the Dunlops, so the Michelins must be softer. Dry grip seems comparable / a bit better, but wet grip seems better. Too soon to comment on the wear. Just my own comments - comments and feedback may help others.

As you were.

Comment

Working...
                        X