Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!!

Hi guys,

Possibly managed to convince the other half to cvhange the PT Cruiser for something that will stick to the road in all weather (she nearly ran into someone), the Pt really doesnt like stopping, turning etc in the dry yet alone when there is a bit of a snow covering.

So I have given the options (layed down the law) to see what she wants to change to.

1. Has to be diesel.
    2. Has to handle well so I can throw it about.
    3. Has to be an estate(for the dogs)

Anyone point me in the direction of a good 2.5TDI A4 Avant Quattro then boys????

P.s. Never driven one - are they any good?
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

I heard from a mate that it goes really well for a diesel, it has 180 bhp wich is quite acceptable... And if it hasn't enough power, tune it...
    Glenn

Comment

some geek in my office keeps advertising that if u chip it it has more torque than a porsce.. for aprox 2rpm... in a certain gear... down hill.. with the wind..
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

Drove an Allroad on Friday past with the 2.5TDi engine - 180bhp and buckets of torque. Don't actually know the spec (tut tut) but there is plenty of torque in these big diesels. Actually test drove it round some snowy/slushy lanes - fantastic big bus to drive. It was much less wallowy than I expected for such a vehicle.

I'm going for one as the family wagon - just need to find the right one. This one had great Audi history, no receipts but was sporting a new headlight and the drivers side wing had been off. That and the cloth interior was horrible. Has to be leather...

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I think these Audi Diesels can be very successfully chipped/re-mapped? Do they smoke more when chipped?

How much for an A4TDi quattro on the used shark market?
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Stock torque on the 2.5TDi is 370Nm - which is right up there with a stock ABY and much more than a stock 3B. A strong engine for sure...

Paul
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I have seen a few in Buckinghamshire 52 plate with 60K on the clock half leather/alacantra interior looked really nice for £14k
              Dark Grey Avant
              RS2 FARB
              Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

yes they snoke more when chipped.
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

Don't rule out the 1.9 TDi A4 Avant post 99, they are surprisingly good! (I've had a few of them and personally... would go for the 1.9 over the 2.5 in the A4 everytime) That's my personal view. Test drive a 1.9Tdi and if you can find one! a 2.5, then make up your own mind. SUre the 2.5 will have more grunt, but in the A4 chassi, its not needed and it does drink fuel much faster than a 1.9.

If you go the Alroad route, then she needs the 2.5 to pull her weight along.
                  Enjoy looking for one, hold out fo r a good one. If it lkooks good and drives good, chances are it will be. If the front suspension creaks, that's pretty normal, but bank on at least £600 to replace and align the front end miniumum
                  Martyn

Originally posted by Azman
                  Hi guys,

Possibly managed to convince the other half to cvhange the PT Cruiser for something that will stick to the road in all weather (she nearly ran into someone), the Pt really doesnt like stopping, turning etc in the dry yet alone when there is a bit of a snow covering.

So I have given the options (layed down the law) to see what she wants to change to.

1. Has to be diesel.

Anyone point me in the direction of a good 2.5TDI A4 Avant Quattro then boys????

Martyn
                  -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Well I am delighted to report that I have found a beaut of an allroad. It was a real fluke find by a series of coincidences so it must be destiny. It's costing more than I had planned on spending but the mileage, condition and the mighty list of options on this one makes it worth every penny extra. We pick it up on Saturday if all goes to plan. I won't be sad to see the back of that boring (though mostly reliable) A4 1.8SE that the AR is replacing...

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

Not really a fan of the AR, it's the looks I think the big plastic looking arches etc put me off something cronic, just a nice plain understated chipped with masssssive alloys will do nicely. After all the missus will be driving it mostly.

Actually scratch the alloys (or she will)

Right I'm off before she reads this.

Bye
                      Dark Grey Avant
                      RS2 FARB
                      Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Originally posted by Azman
                        Hi guys,

1. Has to be diesel.

Which pt you have?
                        A friend of mine has a pt cruiser gt turbo with some enhancements and performed quite well in wet or even snow. Of course it's NOTHING compared to quattro's
                        Has it wide wheels? Wrong tyres? Better have fiat panda wheels in snow

As Martyn i also suggest the 1.9 tdi a4 avant. Do they have the red d or i's ?
                        Tim

Comment

Pt Cruiser is a 2.2CRD lump. Far too heavy for the front of the car and it just understeers like a t"£t and rolls like it someone who needs to be covered in flour to find the wet patch

Good car and done well but I want something a bit safer and something that I can fit a bit more dear road kill in

Going to do some test driving next weekend at the local stealers, then go on a hunt for the car not from a stealers.
                          Dark Grey Avant
                          RS2 FARB
                          Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Working...
                          X