Speeding Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding Law

A while ago (i cant remember if it was on the Yahoo group) someone posted a link explaining your rites if caught speeding, and a list of things that you can ask the policeman ie has he got a callibration certificate, if using radar, has he got a tuning fork etc. If anyone has still got this link please could you post it. Thankyou
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Been caught doing naughty things??
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

UK Speed traps

Lots of info on here.

Depends on what you have been caught by as to what you ask them for. But there is Home Office reg's for how cameras have to be sited and they way police operating.

Like if caught by a laser from a patrol car they must have veichle parked in a highly visible place and wear the high vis jackets etc.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Biggest irony - since buying The Kitten, I've been very very lucky... best get out so far? Topping a ton in the Hatfield tunnel, to be passed by a police Volvo shortly afterwards!

What's your best escape?!! I passed a speed trap on the A14 on a trip to the midlands, doing 90...

(been had three times though, and bashed a few motors in my time - modified S2 costs me heaps to insure...)

__MDC__
        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

On the link that Greg S has provided there is a section on "human rights" by "Adrian Shurmer" "driver awareness ltd." Adrian brought his company to "Fraser eagle" (where i work) and it became part of the Fraser eagle group. A part of this merge was that everyone in the company had to go on his driver awareness course! That guy is one bitter x copper!! Cool, but bitter all the same!

He reckons that when your driving down a road and you see a "no "u" turn sign" it means that you MUST do a u-turn? Why? Because he says is a double negative! Because it has a red ring around the sign already that makes it prohibitary, with it having a strike line through as well, that then reverses the meaning?????????

One strange dude but he has a fully day lined up of this kind of stuff! Crazy! :wacked:

Just though I’d share that with you guys! Just prompted me when I saw his name!
          Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Luckily i havnt been caught yet, but my mate has doing 31.8 in a 30 zone and i said i would argue my case until i got arrested.
            My closest brush with the law in the S2 was howling past a fully marked fizzy (it was tucked in a long line of cars doing 60 in a 70 zone) at 150+mph down a local (private naturally ) road, he didnt even flinch, neither did he flinch at my mate behind me doing the same speeds in his 205Mi16 (His car had only 1 silencer:eek2: )

But thanks for the info
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

wish i had the same luck.

Been caught twice now by the local cashpoints. Why one of the mobile camera's was necessary i really dont know.

They have put it on a 1.5mile straight section of road with good vision. Roundabout at either end of it. One junction off it near the roadabout with a slip road bit in middle of road. And it is wide enough to be a dual carriageway if need.

Somehow i think it is very easy pickings, and as with soooo many of the cameras it is just a revenue earner. Likewise with the truvelo down from there which was put up as a temp measure while roadworks to replace a bridge at arlesey. Since the bridge has been finished, guess what its been left there to catch anyone who dares drive to the conditions!

And he steps down from the soap box!
              Greg

Comment

I have been very lucky and still am! I have NO points :nana:
                I drive like a looney everyday and have even overtaken under cover cop cars! woops.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

grahan tell your m8 to dig his heels in . they are supposed to allow 10% +2 mph. ie 35 should be ok ,,
                  ako

Comment

10% + 2 has gone out of the window with lancashire police! Zero tollerance campaign here! All depends on what the area force choose to allow?
                    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Might be worth arguing in court that they are not following the home office guidelines and that the reason for the 10% + 2mph rule is that manufacturers cannot build mass production cars with 100% accurate speedo's and therefore you were merely using the speed given by your cars speedometer which isnt calibrated and is built to the manufacturers 10% spec.
                      Greg

Comment

The 10% + 2mph thing is fairly common but not absolute.

I can see how the 2mph could be eliminated by police. However, 10% must surely be allowed for as it is definitely the allowed tolerance on speedometers even from new? That would still make 33mph legal!

Problem is, we all tend to push that allowance a bit, don't we?!!

Think about this though: when you put new tyres on, they maybe have a good 8mm of tread depth - if you wear them down to 2mm, you've lost about 6mm off the radius, or 12mm off the diameter - and that represents about 2% of the speedo reading comparing new tyres to old tyres!

__MDC__
                        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Our local police forces are a joke, Middlesborough police have a "Zero tolerance" policy while Redcar and Cleveland police have been cancelling tickets issued for such offences, --Mad, but he has consulted a solicitor and he is taking it up to have the points removed for this reason.
                          Graham

Comment

Working...
                          X