UR Quattro???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UR Quattro???

I'm after a UR Quattro and have found a very nice 10v 1983 RHD example at what seems like a very good price but has anyone who owns these any experiences on what to look out for, this is a low mileage example (about 80000) with a comprehensive service file. Ideally would like an early 2.1 but also am keen on the later digital dash models and 2226 engines. Any pointers / price guides would be appreciated as asking price seems more or less around the price of a good S2, but the market seems kinda stale for some reason at the moment.

Give us a shout if you need it poking with a stick.

There are many things to look out for.
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

That's an ominous start!!!
      you have pm!

Comment

Can of worms springs to mind. The problem with quattro's has nothing to do with age or breed (early WR, WR, MB or RR).. But everything to do with history and condition. There is now an issue with parts becoming No Longer Available (NLA) and some are quite fundemental (like bonnets, and (although back available now) turbo Oil filters..seriously.. ).. So a car with 200k on the clock and 8 owners might be in top condition whilst a 2 owner 80k car might be a shed. Suffice to say, if you're paying good money (£5k+) you'll want a good car and patience will be a virtue.

Go to it.... But be wise... A basket of trouble is the alternative.

Be mindful of exhaust manifolds, (death tick when cold), smoking, rust (front wings are common and now over £500 each), bottoms of doors, boot floors, around the windscreens, boot hinges, under the rear lights, the 'c' pillar to rear wing 'invisible' seam, sills and bonnet (bonnet is NLA). Mind WR's with no voice or missing instrument lights (it's hiding a fault), big wheels and lowered suspension is okay if that's your cup of tea, but it can be seen as a distraction. WR's may have a 'chip' (crude Zener Diode mod) that allows overboost. Adds some extra gg's to a fit engine, but can rapidly destroy a sick one, as it takes away overboost protection and fuel shut off (even in a crash). MB's, it is alleged, can be chipped, but the car's have a reasonable degree of electronic control that is very, very bespoke. So the alleged, in practice means most engine safety features have been negated for very little/no bhp gain. RR's follow a similar route to 3B's (very broadly speaking)...

Chassis wise, the 4WD is a typical quattro - very strong - but the diff oil seals are worth a check. find out when the clutch was last changed and mind the radiators. They don't appreciate a boil up

Oh, and good luck, if you get a good'n, (especially a raw machine like a WR with a single box exhaust) It'll make your hair curl... But, ultimately, you'll go faster in the 'S'...
        85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds
          But, ultimately, you'll go faster in the 'S'...
          Why? less weight, better handling. I know what I would put my money on...
          Corey
          01636 822288

Comment

You will not find a better Ur quattro expert than Phil Payne. Have a look here http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
              Why? less weight, better handling. I know what I would put my money on...
              Sorry didn't clarify that very well, on a pound for pound basis - £2k's worth of engine work will make an S2 a faster machine than £2k's worth on a 10v.
              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds
                Sorry didn't clarify that very well, on a pound for pound basis - £2k's worth of engine work will make an S2 a faster machine than £2k's worth on a 10v.
                That is very true, the 20v engine is very easy to get hp from but when fitting a standalone ecu/fuel system to the 10v nothing compares to the feeling and sound (IMHO)
                Corey
                01636 822288

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the payne in the ***.........
                  Rob..
                  94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                  87 UR 20v ABY
                  97 S6 Avant
                  96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                  1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500
                    I wouldn't bother with the payne in the ***.........
                    i must say not very helpfull unless you are paying

Comment

I'm glad i'm not the only one who knows the sun dose deffinatly not shine from his posterior!!
                      Rob..
                      87 UR 20v ABY
                      97 S6 Avant

Comment

I'm glad i'm not the only one who knows the sun dose deffinatly not shine from his posterior!!
                        i see you must have had some bad experience

Comment

Lets just say... had I not stepped in and defused a "situation" he would have been pushing up daiseys by now!

Crossing the wrong person when you know ****** all about them is not to be recommended!
                          Rob..
                          87 UR 20v ABY
                          97 S6 Avant

Comment

Lets just say... had I not stepped in and defused a "situation" he would have been pushing up daiseys by now!

Crossing the wrong person when you know ****** all about them is not to be recommended!
                            and from this remark, would it be right in saying that buying a Ur Quattro is a good or bad idea???

Comment

I stumbled across an Audi dealer the other week when i was working down south. AMCarsquattro.co.uk. They had a couple of 10V UR's (x1 Owned by the King of Bahrain) in the showroom.....mint......£9K....any help ?
                              RS2
                              80 Sport
                              S4
                              Ariel Atom

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X