Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at an S2

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but i have owned a few Audi's now. A6 V6 TDi, S4 (b5) and now a D2 A8 4.2 QS.

I have been offered an Audi S2, M reg, Purple, 120k for £5500. Does this sound steep?
    Body work in great condition, interior in full black leather again great condition.

I don't know anything about the S2's! What are their weak points and good points? Power outputs and figures?

The car has a full custom Powerflow exhaust. Not sure which engine code but it does have a 6 spd box?

Any info or links to webs etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.
    Dan
    Poorly 2.3 10v NG Coup!!!

Dan where are you based? Coupe or avant? Sounds nice... car sounds even nicer for less than £5k You will have 230hp to start with there with the aby S2
    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Greetings and welcome.

An M reg (MY94 or MY95) is a relatively late S2 and is well into the ABY engine code, all of which had 6-speed boxes. If you are lucky, then the car will be late enough to have the wider (i.e. stronger) 1st gear and the airbags instead of procon ten)

A stock ABY puts out 230BHP (0-60 in 5.7s), but can easily be chipped to around 285BHP (with a mahossive increase in Clarkson torques) by either S2central or Doug_S2 (MRC) both on here.

At 285BHP they are really quite fun, with the added advantage that very few people even know what an S2 is (most dealers don't ) so ricers etc just see the M-plate and think 'old Audi, I'll thrash him' before being wasted as you walk away from them. You will get asked the following question at the next set of lights...'What the HELL IS that thing?'

Weak points in order might be considered to be....

1. Brakes (easily dramatically improved for £500)
      2. This place! You will be happy stock, then you'll want it chipped, then RS2 seats and goodies and very soon you'll have spent £3k on it and you'll be at £365BHP (mid to low 4s 0-60) and planning your move to 550+BHP (sub 4s 0-60)
      3. 1st gear on early 6-speeds
      4. Fuel economy (16-18 mpg having fun, 25MPG max on a long cruise) not that anyone on here even cares

There are only a few web links that you need: -

1. THIS PLACE!!!! - Virtually all the answers are here already (use the search Luke) but if not, there will be someone who knows...it is amazing just how much we know between us (and rather sad)
      2. S2central.net - for all production info and loads of technical stuff too
      3. http://www.audifans.net has forums for each model and has a very wide range of Audi knowledge.
      4. A few owner sites like http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/ which has all the manuals etc and some good technical info

Hope this helps, now go buy it

Cheers n

Si
      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Hi,

I'm based near York.
        The car is a saloon. I'm going ack on sat/sun to view and test drive!

Sounds tempting just by the figures that HPmuirt posted!! Tell me more!!

Comment

Saloon rare or what
          S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

The car is 5500 if he preps, it or 4800 if i take as is.

There is some stone chips nothing major on the bonnet and the only other thing is the sunroof on rear left corner (outside not inside) is sagging a little? has it come off its runners or something?

Comment

re the sunroof it will be on the the screws which holds the panel to the slider i would guess. HOWEVER, ask HIM to demonstrate the sunroof as it could be the slider has broken and at least that way you won't be acused of breaking it! If it is just the screw thats loose then it'll be easy enough to sort out, just need a torx screwdriver IIRC.

Sounds like its in good nick, personally with the detail on here i'd go for £4800 and leg it
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Is it *REALLY* an S2 saloon ?

These were only made in LHD and are incredibly rare... It may be a DIY conversion done on an 80/90 quattro saloon. Nout wrong with that if its done properly but don't be fooled into thinking its the real thing.

Take a look at the buyers guide on http://s2central.net - there is a useful VIN decoder on there which will help tell you what the car is.

If you can post the engine and model codes in the service book VIN sticker then we can work this out properly.

Good luck,

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

im tryin to post a pic but photobucket is down 4 me at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post

There are only a few web links that you need: -

1. THIS PLACE!!!! - Virtually all the answers are here already (use the search Luke) but if not, there will be someone who knows...it is amazing just how much we know between us (and rather sad)

Hope this helps, now go buy it

Cheers n

Si
                    So true!!! I don't think we have ever been stumped for an answer!

Back to the original question. Please do post up some pics and we can evaluate what you are actually looking at. I doubt very much it is a saloon, but I stand to be corrected.

Stick with us and you won't go far wrong.

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

its the same shape as S2driveruk avatar. Now i get the feeling its actually an Avant?

Dan

Comment

oops, my mistake, its a coupe?!?!

Dan

Comment

93 S2 Avant Parting
                          91 URQ RR
                          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

cheeky s*d mine is not a coffin lugger
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

S2 Spotting made easy...

If you can get a coffin in it with the seats down, it's an Avant... (It'll have the smell of pipe tobacco, 10 year old slippers, and incontinent collies)...

If it's a Coupe it'll have a huge base box in the boot, smell of rum and squeak like a got pig around the tailgate...

And....If it's a Saloon, It'll be a left hooker...

The war shall commence...
                              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X