Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition engine 2.0 16V (ACE)

Hello.

Are this engines any good? I have and at hand, but u have no clues if they are reliable, if they shot the 140hp thay have on paper...

Experience anyone?
    Audi Quattro WR

We have two ACE's

Myself and my brother each have a 1993 Audi 80 Avant 2.0L 16v FWD with the standard ACE engine.

We've rebuilt his engine fully two years ago just before a month long trip to Italy from Ireland, everything bar a rebore, he also re-bushed the suspension, plus new factory shocks and replaced the engine mounts and installed a new factory centre section exhaust (got at a reduced price from the VAG dealers). He also installed two KR cams from a 1.8L 16v Golf, slight improvement higher up the rev range.

Both cars have about 140k miles on them.

His feels tighter and newer to drive than mine. His new standard clutch feel unbelievable light compared to mine. it is as light to use a as a new Micra!

My car feels looser, but not unpleasant in comparison. But I need to do the rear engine mounts as there is a fair rock in the engine. The main engine mounts are new which probably exaggerates the rocking.

Anyway all of the above is probably not what you wanted to know? Do you want to ask more specific questions?

Kind regards.

Comment

Ok, what is the MPG, can u feel the 140hp? Do you know how much torque does it have on the paper?
      Audi Quattro WR

Comment

in which car u want to fit it?

Comment

my friends "new" avant
          Audi Quattro WR

Comment

do he want to supercharge it?

Comment

no.
              Audi Quattro WR

Comment

hi ive a '94 16v coupe with the a.c.e engine ive fitted k.r cams from a golf plus a k&n panel filter and jetex cat back exhaust system .the cams have killed bottom end pull but gained slightly over 4k revs mpg has dropped from about 35 to 28 im going to swop back to standatd cams much nicer car to drive with them,has anyone fitted a 2.5 tdi lump i one of these?

Comment

For the 2 litre 16v
                  KR (golf gti 16v) INLET cam only( KR exhaust cam is worse than std)
                  Good free flow exhaust
                  K&N panel filter
                  These mods give a nice improvement- its a revvy engine so don't expect it to pull that well from low revs.but once it gets above 3.5k it starts to pull well
                  The main probs with the engines are:
                  Valve stem oil seals(common vag prob)
                  Oil seal on dizzy (oil leaking into cap)
                  make sure that cam chain was/is changed a same time as belt
                  Injector seals hardening causing leaks
                  cambelt incorrectly timed in relation to distibutor
                  for better engine location fit tdi engine mounts
                  A well cared for engine will go over 150k easily before any major work is required
                  and when they are tuned up they scream
                  My golf 16v will rev to 8k before power starts to drop
                  In an avant, due to the weight , it is not the ideal engine as it's not that torquey, but better in a coupe.

Comment

Mistake - oops

I'd agree with everything Dubmeister has posted re the ACE engine. One mistake I made in my previous post was that we only replaced the inlet cam, and not both cams as stated. Sorry for the misinformation.

An injection engine in an Avant body is never going to be a quick car. I've often "toyed" with the idea of putting a G60 supercharger on it (or a Bahn Brenner) as then it would be quicker, but what's the point when its a FWD drive and a spare car for me and as I have an S2 Avant. Nice to day dream though! Free also.

If your friend wants his car to be noticeably quicker, he'll have to pay the money either way. i.e. spend loads turbo'ing or supercharging it or buying an S2, either way loads of money.

Best wishes with his "dilemma" and kind regards.

Comment

best bet is to use a KR head for NA and a 9a/6a for FI if you plan not to port. use 2 exhaust cams from 9a/6a or KR only inlets are different. inlet on 9a/6a and ace is soft. KR has around 1mm more lift. exhaust has 2mm more than ace inlet so 2 exhausts with the correctly modded end pully and the cam snout cut off is the best setup.

a turbo setup on that will work well. t3/.to4e with a 57 trim and either 0.48 or 0.63 stg 3 is best option or something like a gt2882. use 2 stacked gaskets (ABF) and some arp studs. a bar will give 350whp on that. then we hit the rod limit of exactly the same as a S2. IIRC the ACE is a 236mm tall block so maybe a bit less.

Comment

cheers for tip ill give the kr inlet & std exhaust cams a go .ive a steep hill up to my house with std cams it'll accelerate up in 3rd but with kr cams i need to scream it in 2nd to pull 3rd .head is reconned,new cam chain,steel gasket,new buckets,reseated valves&new stem seals,fitted new seals to the dizzy & co is spot on, i had a std audi 80 16v a few years back that was a much quicker car than this one ive a fortune spent on this car and dont want to give up on it

Comment

I buy a competition with ace engine i want to put on them abf harness for change the injection

Comment

Working...
                          X